Cider with real ingredients - a little help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Sadly I've already put this on, so if it's gone wrong, it's gone wrong.

I've bought an Elderflower Cider kit, along with a bag of dried elderflowers to increase the flavour. They were already rather small, so I gently boiled them to release some flavour and added them to the mix. It's now fermenting in the spare room with a brew belt, but is what I did right? I plan to syphon out of the bucket as usual, into a keg.

Dd you add the boiling water to the cider, too? I would think you would want to do that, as you may have extracted some of the flavor when you boiled the Elderflowers. FWIW, I have no idea what an elderflower is :confused: I've been getting into cider making recently, have produced some pretty good sparkling cider, and am looking to do/learn more.

Yeah, I added it all. I just softened the elderflowers up a bit because they were dried!
Elderflowers are very aromatic flowers, and you can reduce them to make a strong tasting concentrate. it's perfumey and earthy, but very sweet too. It's nice! :)

That's cool, just checking! It's nothing special, but the first time i've used an "ingredient" compared to just a kit.

To make 36 pints

1 can Magnum Elderflower Cider
1.5kg Dextrose
1 sachet Champagne Yeast (I forget which)
60g Dried Elderflowers

SG 1041. Hopefully will ferment out around 1010 so it's nice and sweet :)

Back