Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonebeer

Reaction score
I plan on throwing a batch of the following together the day after Thanksgiving. Should be more fun than putting up the Christmas tree. I'd be interested in any feedback on the recipe:

6.6 # Muntons Light LME
1# Muntons Plain Amber DME
.5# Crystal 60L
.25# Crystal 20L
1oz Willamette Bittering 4.6%
1oz Vanguard Finishing 4.4%
Wyeast 2633

This was a BB Oktoberfest kit and I substituted the Wyeast for the Danstar Windsor that was included in the kit. I added a pound of DME just for ****s and giggles. What should the additional DME do to OG?

Appreciate any comments.

Well, the DME should impart a specific gravity per gallon of liquid it is added to. Any software will give you that answer, or you could use one of the recipe tools online.

The recipe seems fine to me. I think the 60L will overpower the 20L, but other than that, sounds just fine.

What should the additional DME do to OG?

It will boost it by about .010, give it a bit more malty character and increase the Alcohol content by about 1.25% - probably just the thing you want if you're going for the Octoberfest type beer.

Unless you can ferment in about 50F and lager the beer properly, you should probably rethink the Wyeast 2633. The Danstar Windsor would make that into a fine beer. I'd avoid the Octoberfest style yeast unless you are certain you can ferment it cold and then lager it near freezing. We'll maybe you can do without the lagering, and just keep your bottles in the fridge for several weeks before you drink them, but fermenting that beer on the cool side with that 2633 yeast is going to be a must.

Regardless it will probably be a good beer around 6.25% ABV I think. That Willamette/Vanguard hop combination looks pretty promising. I've brewed a lot of beers that were real similar to that one this year ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/lawnmower-lager-kolsch-cream-ale-90175/ ) because I scored a pretty big haul of Willamette that I've been trying to use up, and because I got some cans of Cooper's Light LME pretty cheaply on special.

I think it will turn out to be a good beer, I would certainly drink it.

Latest posts

Back