Austin Homebrew Fat Tire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
That is my planned brew for tomorrow. I just read the thread about the 20-25% reduction of Bittering Hops for a full boil. Glad I found that when I did. Do I need to adjust anything else with this recipe for a full boil? I'm following their Extract recipe. It says to steep the grains in 2 1/2 gal of water at 155* Should I follow that or go ahead and use 5 gallons of water? The recipe is for a partial boil and I plan to do a full boil.

I would still only add 1/3 of the extract for the entire boil and the rest the last 10-15 minutes.

Do you have Amarillo hops also? I was expecting Centennial which we here in Wisconsin have in abundance.

??? Full boil or two 1/2 boils ??

I know it's tempting to do a full boil, but Austin Homebrew Supply kits come with specific instructions that the kits are designed around. You could PM Forrest and ask him. I follow the instructions almost exactly. I just brewed their American IPA 1 today. I do a 3 gallon boil on the AHS kits.

The amount of water you steep your grains in does not make a difference, but the temp does.

So hold your temp at 155* for X amount of time then take the grains out and ramp up the heat for the boil:rockin:

Edit: Fu@% I type to slow Forrest beat me to it.

Actually I was told by AHS that they suggest 2g of water and a cup of DME added. Not sure if that is meant to be public :)

Their mail dude is REALLY helpful in a lot of ways and is why they get my business.

I did a full boil of their Sweet stout without knowing to NOT do a full boil. hmmmmmm!

I do play with the temp though as 155 is a default number JUST like the carbing sugar (which Forrest, I think is a cop out - it's my only complaint about AHS)

Another thing is AHS can not get centennial hops! Whats up with that - I can get them all over the place.

I do play with the temp though as 155 is a default number JUST like the carbing sugar (which Forrest, I think is a cop out - it's my only complaint about AHS)

Another thing is AHS can not get centennial hops! Whats up with that - I can get them all over the place.

I reall y don't understand what you mean by cop out. 155 degrees is right in the middle. If you go lower than 148 you start to lose efficiency and if you go higher than 160 you start to extract tannins from the grain.

Please explain "JUST like the carbing sugar".

As far as Cewntennial goes, it is one of the more rare hops this season. I just acquired some and they will be available soon.

Forrest

Please explain "JUST like the carbing sugar".

I think I understand his meaning, Forrest- he's griping about the fact that 5 oz of priming sugar is included in each kit, regardless of style guidelines for carbonation. From a time investment standpoint, I can see why you do this. It's simply not a good use of time to package different volumes of priming sugar for each of your kits.

Grinder,

Easy solution. Deselect the priming sugar from your kit order and buy it in bulk instead (say, a 5 lb bag). Then measure the sugar by weight according to a carbonation table that matches BJCP guidelines for each style.

Back