Olympics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I like sports. Alot. All types. I just turned on NBC to catch a little- and I see "synchronized diving"? Now, I realize that some things others can consider a sport are not necessarily a sport to me. I think diving is tough, and is a sport. But synchronized diving? To me, that's like calling ice dancing a sport. Yes, there is some athleticism here, and timing. But, I think it's a huge stretch to consider it its own sport. That's like having a basketball team sport, and then a free throw contest as its own sport. I mean, diving is diving. Men's diving/women's diving is fine- I also think "rhythmic gymnastics" is stupid. Dancing with a ribbon while tumbling? Ok, entertaining, and athletic, but not a real competitive sport.

I think they should have an olympics games of Lessor Sports. Like Synchronized Swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, that goofy synchronized diving, and speed walking. The first three are arts, the last is just not a sport!

Yeah but the synchronized diving comes with synchronized but-cheek wiggle.

I'm a fan of that part. :D

You do realize that it's MEN's synchronized diving on right now, right? ;)

What the hell are you talking about Munch?

That's right Women's beach volleyball at 9pm. That's what you were talking about.......................................right

I'm sorry but if you recognise diving as a sport you have to recognise syncronised diving as a sport, IMO... The first hit I got was this video.

[youtube]bj7rlZguZ5g&hl[/youtube]

Look at the dive at 1min 45sec nd tell me that isn't impressive. Just because some sports are over in a matter of moments or the difficulty is a technical one more than an endurance one (their training requires the endurance) doesn't stop it being a sport...

Yeah but the synchronized diving comes with synchronized but-cheek wiggle.

I'm a fan of that part. :D

This is me questioning that response.

Im suprised your not into the men's diving Yooper. Although as a fellow hockey player I too think it's nuts to call that crap a sport. If we are going to call that a sport we are just giving cheerleading more leadway to advance.

...I mean, diving is diving. Men's diving/women's diving is fine- I also think "rhythmic gymnastics" is stupid. Dancing with a ribbon while tumbling? Ok, entertaining, and athletic, but not a real competitive sport.

I think they should have an olympics games of Lessor Sports. Like Synchronized Swimming, rhythmic gymnastics, that goofy synchronized diving, and speed walking. The first three are arts, the last is just not a sport!

They don't call them sports, in the Olympics. They're called events. So there's no 'real sport' claiming going on.
Give them a break, they only get to come out to play every four years for chrissake!:D

They don't call them sports, in the Olympics. They're called events. So there's no 'real sport' claiming going on.
Give them a break, they only get to come out to play every four years for chrissake!:D
Sept world championships and all

Trampoline, NOW THAT is a sport.!!!

Damn straight it is. I've been captain of the the uni club for two years now... You have no idea howphysically demanding it is. I wish i was any good...

I've afew friends who went over and trained with this guy...

[youtube]u9FAmtMLvZo&hl[/youtube]

+1, it is called the "olympic games," not the "olympic sports."

Of course, I like to define sports as anything that is competitive exercising. There are exceptions here, too, but it fits most of the olympics games (maybe not the equestrian stuff).

If a judge chooses the winner, it ain't a sport.

Hmmm, so boxing isn't a sport???

or wrestling (roman-greco & free-style), or Judo or gymnastics or tennis, or baseball, or softball or football or basketball, etc. Any and all organized sports have a referee or judge where subjective calls are made that make a significant impact on who wins and loses.

or wrestling (roman-greco & free-style), or Judo or gymnastics or tennis, or baseball, or softball or football or basketball, etc. Any and all organized sports have a referee or judge where subjective calls are made that make a significant impact on who wins and loses.

Referees and umpires are not judges. They enforce the rules and administer the scoring. They don't pick the winners.

However, you guys do make a good point about boxing and martial arts.

"Hey, you on the rings... Wow, that's awesome. A very impressive display of athleticism. But if you need a judge to pick a winner it ain't a sport. Competition yes. Sport, no."

Referees and umpires are not judges. They enforce the rules and administer the scoring. They don't pick the winners.

Judges enforce rules and administer scoring as well. Winners are determined by point totals, not some judge "picking".

I'm not sure if you are saying You don't consider them sports or if you are really trying to argue what a sport consists of.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
sport Audio Help /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc

I know what a sport is but I don't personally consider anything a sport unless it invloves bikini clad women.....UFC, Boxing, Nascar.:cross:

If two people are going to dive at the same time in a competition, shouldn't they be tossing each other around like ice skating? Or maybe they could have synchronized fencing dives... that would be entertaining :D

Anyone can do that. I want to see a synchronized dive to this:

Last edited by a moderator:
This subject always gets my juices flowing... IMHO, if there is a judge involved (not referee or umpire, who I agree, enforce rules) then I cannot consider it a sport. A judge administers points on a basis of what he/she sees or doesn't see. There is WAY to much gray area there for me to consider it anything but "a display of athletic prowess." Not to take anything away from any of the competitors, they are all extremely talented and even incredible to watch, but not participating in a sport as far as I'm concerned.

As far as claiming that a umpire or referee administers the same amount of control over a game is absurd. Even taking into account the Tim Donaghy fiasco in the NBA, the players still have to make free throws. Scoring is completely on the shoulders of the players themselves. Same in baseball. The umpire can't say "That was a marvelous looking swing. Perfect balance. Kept his down. He only missed the ball by three inches, not quite six, so go ahead and take second base."

I think the "Sport / Not a Sport" discussion will forever be debated. Golf, Racing, Figure Skating, and a host of others have always had their doubters in the "Not A Sport" camp. And there are valid arguments on both sides...

I am not necessarily a NASCAR/racing fan or a gymnastics fan, but I can appreciate the physical condition both activities require.

The issue i usually have isn't identifying if someone is athletic or that an activity is grueling or requires a certain amount of athleticism. I have an issue with sport/game vs. art/presentation and artistic events or activities that truly require an objective perspective or 'judgment' that pose as a game or sport. Case in point is gymnastics, ice skating, diving, etc.

There isn't a subjective way to judge these events. They fall more into a class of art or exhibition for me. The presenters of these activities are athletes for sure, but the event itself I have a hard time qualifying as sport. Impressive artistic display yes...sport..ummmm..not so much.

The issue i usually have isn't identifying if someone is athletic or that an activity is grueling or requires a certain amount of athleticism. I have an issue with sport/game vs. art/presentation and artistic events or activities that truly require an objective perspective or 'judgment' that pose as a game or sport. Case in point is gymnastics, ice skating, diving, etc.

There isn't a subjective way to judge these events. They fall more into a class of art or exhibition for me. The presenters of these activities are athletes for sure, but the event itself I have a hard time qualifying as sport. Impressive artistic display yes...sport..ummmm..not so much.

+1

And MikeFlynn74... yes, yes, and yes. I don't necessarily like to watch or participate in them all, but have no qualms about classifying them as sports.

Kelsch

So Golf, bowling and bass fishing are sports by your definition.

I would say golf and bowling are definitely sports. Bass Fishing is at a minimum a game due to the subjective scoring of the event. Sport is a stretch but I can see where someone would make that argument, but definitely a game.

I realize at this level of discussion what we are really debating is semantics and trying to define activities literally rather than based on the quality of action required to perform said activity. But isnt that what makes for a great debate? I say we all get together and have beer over this discussion. :mug:

Golf is definitely a sport. Boring as hell to watch, but a sport none the less.

How about this one: Poker on ESPN. What a crok! I don't think anyone could argue that is a sport.

EDIT: I'm all in for the beer suggestion.

I would say golf and bowling are definitely sports. Bass Fishing is at a minimum a game due to the subjective scoring of the event. Sport is a stretch but I can see where someone would make that argument, but definitely a game.

I realize at this level of discussion what we are really debating is semantics and trying to define activities literally rather than based on the quality of action required to perform said activity. But isnt that what makes for a great debate? I say we all get together and have beer over this discussion. :mug:

That's my favorite way to settle any disagreement. :mug:

Wow! I just commented that I thought synchronized diving was not a "real" sport. I didn't want to start a thread for the "debate forum"!

I'll buy the first round tonight....................:mug:

I saw women's syncro diving for the first time the other night and was intrigued (the butt-cheeck wiggle & all...) Then I turned the olympics on last night waiting for Misty May and I see men's syncro diving and I thought that it was pretty fruity! Luckily NBC has several different HD feeds going at any one time so there is some choice. :mug:

So.......
Did any one watch the end of Men's team gymnastics? If so did you feel a little embarassed when all of the USA gymnists started to act all thugged out when they knew they had the silver?

did you feel a little embarassed when all of the USA gymnasts started to act all thugged out when they knew they had the silver?
I could've done without all of the "that's how we roll" and "yeah boy" comments. Classless.

EDIT:
I say classless...yet my last post here compares an Olympic "sport" to toilet antics. Oops.

Back