Absinthe in the News Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been trying to tell people this since I started working at a liquor store. They choose to beleive the rumors that within the younger generations was brought about in the movie "Eurotrip".

I tried some american version this past weekend called Absente or something like that. Definitely didn't make me see a green fairy, but i can definitely say it tore me the f*** up. I don't remember a damn thing about that night.. which sucks because I didn't even get to enjoy/remember the first bottle of Apfelwein I made.

sause said:
I've been trying to tell people this since I started working at a liquor store. They choose to beleive the rumors that within the younger generations was brought about in the movie "Eurotrip".
I know. I've had bottles of it when I lived there and was not impressed no matter the color...;)

Everytime i've tried it i just got a nasty headache. When i used ice and sugar then it was OK, but that's being generous. Is it just a connoisseur drink?

Now, you should all realize that science & truthiness have nothing to do with each other. People who KNOW, KNOW and that makes it true.

One guy I know is such a nut about it, he is planning on commercial production now that it's legal. I'm ok for a couple sips.

I always wondered if the hallucination were true. The other guy that drank it was Toulouse-Lautrec(sp?). He was a midget, so truly deserved to get f*cked up once in awhile.

it's pretty ridiculous, you can't convince anyone that isn't well versed in alcohol that it doesn't make you hallucinate. They always throw that thujone or whatever the **** it is argument up there, but while that chemical is apparently toxic in high quantities, it would take enough absinthe to kill(ethanol) you like 5 times over before the thujone did.

Personally I can't stand the price of it, especially since it was just ok. I think it's like $50 a bottle for the one kind the local store keeps. I'll go buy a bunch off good beer or a very nice bourbon for that.

I refuse to drink it on the grounds that it tastes like concentrated licorice soaked in alcohol that came from the sweat of a hobo's socks.

Or that's what I hear. Or maybe I'm biased because I hate licorice.

We carry it at the liquor store and I've tried it. Its really bitter and really strong. I don't think its a hallucinogen, I just think the 125 proof aspect messes people up. Its an interesting product, but not my cup of tea. I like to get buzzed slooowly...:D

Like I have mentioned whenever the subject comes up, the high demand when it was popular drove some distillers to unscrupulous techniques such as adding Copper Sulfate to the batch to get the green color, which is a poison. Most likely strange additives were the culprit. As for the Thujone, apparently garden Sage has much higher levels.

Soulive said:
We carry it at the liquor store and I've tried it. Its really bitter and really strong. I don't think its a hallucinogen, I just think the 125 proof aspect messes people up. Its an interesting product, but not my cup of tea. I like to get buzzed slooowly...:D

Yeah there is a HUGE difference between drinking something extremely high proof and slowly consuming the equivalent amount of alcohol in say 10 or 15 minutes. It's a totally different effect.

Has the ban on real Absinthe been lifted?

Ahh hehe, found this:

http://www.greendevil.com/absinthe_us.html.

Basically the exporters remove the Thujone somehow from the Wormwood. I should buy a bottle and stick some of my Wormwood in there.

EvilTOJ said:
I refuse to drink it on the grounds that it tastes like concentrated licorice soaked in alcohol that came from the sweat of a hobo's socks.

Or that's what I hear. Or maybe I'm biased because I hate licorice.

Doh, bout spewed coffee on my monitor when I read this. Thnx for the laugh :).

Back