American IPA Ithaca Flower Power Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ferment in my basement which is around 67 degrees. This keeps my fermentation temp around 72 for the first 24-48 hours, and that has always been fine. One time it got a little warm in my basement and my fermentation temp climbed to 78--- this was the only time where I noticed an off flavor of what I describe as nail polish remover. Super, Super slight actually, but I picked it up. I asked 3 or 4 others and they couldn't pick up the off flavor, but since then I have always tried to keep my fermentation temps at 72 or below. Good luck.

My beers have probably always fermented mid 70's at least as Ive only recently ponied up the $5 for a rope tub, butter than nothing. I'm heading out to the GABF tomorrow, I'll see if I can get any secrets;)

Yea, my batch got up to 72 degrees for a part of the day while I was at work, I still have a blowoff tube in it on day 4! Part of the reason is because I wanted a good 5 1/2 gallons or so because with such a big beer I knew there would be more loss to trub than on a smaller beer. Plus, the 3 ounces of dry hop are gonna suck up some precious wort. I actually ended up just shy of 6 gallons in my 6.5 gallon primary. So, I don't have too much room for krausen. It is still bubbling nicely, as soon as the krausen gives me a little headroom, I will put in the airlock. I may secondary the extra 1/2 gallon in a growler with an ounce of citra, and bottle it in 3 bombers! I used citra as a dry hop in my last brew and it was fantastic. I too prefer less malty beers, and I did not see your post about using less honey malt until after my brew day. However, I think the 8 ounces in the boil will still balance it out. This is the most hops that I have ever used in a boil, so I can't wait to try this. Because I am fermenting in a temp controlled fridge, when you open the door it smells incredible.

Well, I want to chime in and give an update. I brewed this beer over 4 weeks ago. I knew dumpsterboy did not have great efficiency, so I adjusted my recipe to 15 pounds of briess, 1 pound honey malt, and here is where I f@cked yp, I used a full pound of c40L. I use an electic rims set up and I used 173 degrees with the 17 pounds to hit the 153 degrees almost head on. I did use 5 gallons and about an extra 1.25 qts for my strike water. My crush is pretty fine and because of the rims system, I like to use a thinner mash because of the recirculation. Well, that went all to hell when the mash seemed to get stuck right away. Fearing a stuck mash and scortched wort because of my rims setup, I kept stirring the mash to keep the return flow up. I think this really helped my efficiency, because my O.G. was 1.085. I also added an extra rehydrated pack of US-O5 on day two because of this. I think this helped consume the extra sweetness as dboy said, and reduce the maltiness, even though I used a full pound of caramel malt. Now onto the fermentation. I wanted to go just over two weeks of primary, but, my brother died of an unexpectected heart attack. I'm not exactly sure, but I think the primary went to about 3 weeks. I decided to rack to secondary because of the large amount of trub. At that time it measured 1.020 gravity. I think the beer finished a couple of points lower on the secondary.
this puts the beer over 8.5 ABV which helps balance out the malt profile. I also went about 11 days of dry hopping because of everything at work going on, he was also my coworker. well, I finally kegged the beer tonight. The dry hopping is incredible. The aroma is insane. I bought the ingredients at my LHBS and told the guy that it is the most expensive beer that I have ever made. He said it will probably be the best beer that I have ever made. Well, I think it was.

^Sorry to hear about your broski.

This is going to be my next brew. Will follow the original recipe - maybe reduce the honey malt by a ****hair or so.

Gunmetal,--Whoa--Sorry to hear about your brother.

I keep brewing this one over and over. I do however adjust the hop schedule occasionally. By doing this it changes the taste ever so slightly, but it's always delicious. And yes I sometimes lower the honey malt a bit, but if I use 2 packets of safale us-05, it eats up any additional sweetness, so I usually just add 1lb for the slightly higher gravity. This recipe makes for a very low malty, highly bitter IPA--which is exactly how I like it. I can't believe how malty some other IPA's taste compared to this one, but everyone has their preference. Enjoy!

Had the original for the first time last night and it was great. It obviously motivated me to look for a recipe out there to give it a go. I'll have to add this to my brew schedule. Thanks.

Well, I have to admit that this was a great brew. I think I will adjust the malt sweetness the next time I brew it, but the hop combos are great. I was going to bottle some for a tasting and beer exchange this holiday season, but when I started to bottle (using BierMuncher's counterpressure bottle filler), I only ended up with two bottles before she kicked. I guess I didn't realize how good it really was.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert this recipe into a partial mash? I just moved from extract to PM and would love to try this recipe as its one of my favorite IPA's.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to convert this recipe into a partial mash? I just moved from extract to PM and would love to try this recipe as its one of my favorite IPA's.

I would look at something like
6# light dme
3# 2-row
1# honey
6oz crystal 40

If you can manage more grain in your mash you could up the 2-row and lower the dme. I would also look at your efficiency and use some calculators to get a sense of where your OG ends up.

I would use more Amarillo or Cascade if you have that. Ahtanum adds that grapefruit flavor.

Had a blind Taste test last light. 5 judges all picked this beer over the following beers. -- Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Sculpin, Firestone Union Jack, and Bear Republic Racer 5.
It was totally blind, and it was cool to see this beer win with all judges. I will say however that this beer was brewed and kegged and the others were poured from bottles, and I think that does makes a difference. Obviously all of the beers mentioned are awesome, so nobody complained about not liking any of them anyways.

Dumpsterboy said:
Had a blind Taste test last light. 5 judges all picked this beer over the following beers. -- Ballast Point Big Eye, Ballast Point Sculpin, Firestone Union Jack, and Bear Republic Racer 5.
It was totally blind, and it was cool to see this beer win with all judges. I will say however that this beer was brewed and kegged and the others were poured from bottles, and I think that does makes a difference. Obviously all of the beers mentioned are awesome, so nobody complained about not liking any of them anyways.

So what's your current recipe? I know we've discussed amounts of honey malt before, mine didn't turn out so great when I made this before.

16.5# 2-row, 4oz Caramel 40L ,I reduced honey malt to 6oz,--and I have consistently been adding 2 packets of safale us-05. As far as the hop schedule-- I have really been moving the hops around. Here was my hop schedule for the latest brew-- 1.0 Centennial @60, 0.5 Amarillo @50, 1.0 Citra @40, 1.0 Chinook@ 35, 1.0 Simcoe @ 30, 1.0 Cascade @25, 0.5 Ahtnaum @ 20, 0.5 Amarillo @15, 1.0 Cascade at 10.---then dry hopped with 1.0 Amarillo and Simcoe.

This was the recipe for the Taste test

Which recipe is closest to flower power? The one you just posted or the original?

They are really close actually. I think the one I just posted is, but my wife thinks the first one. I recently read that Ithaca Flower Power uses a special proprietary yeast that they developed and cultured it at Cornell University. I do think that that does give Flower power its very unique taste, that might be impossible to exactly clone. A friend of mine just brewed this recipe with Wyeast Whitebread 1099 and I'm just waiting to see how that one will turn out. He said a brewer from Ithaca said that although you can't mimic their yeast exactly, he felt Wyeast 1099 or WLP 001 would be the closest yeast match. I plan on trying those yeasts as well in the future, but Safale us-05 is just so easy to use and has worked well thus far.

Nice, I think i'll give your newest recipe a shot. I'll stick with 05, I'd rather not go out and buy another strain. And if its been getting you in the ballpark that's all I ask for. Thanks,

Just tried this recipe with Wyeast 1099. Tasted awesome. Produced a slightly less malt profile which I enjoyed.

I tried Flower Power for the first time a few months ago, and it's one of the best IPA's I've ever had, definitely the best one in recent memory. Might have to give this a shot. I'm trusting that this is a very close clone, since you've made it a bunch and can attest, but I don't remember the body seeming like 1.019 FG. Maybe it was such a big flavor and aroma kick that I didn't notice.

You're right-- My FG is usually around 1.010. I also have been lowering my mash thickness(qts/lb) to about 1 or 1.1. More sparge water. This has kept the maltiness down a bit. I lose a little abv, but think it is worth it by doing that. Personal preference really.

First off thanks for posting this! Living in NY I love Flower Power and buy it on draft filling growler when ever I see it.

I have all the grain and most of the hops needed to brew this. Plan on brewing a IPA this weekend, second batch on my new eHERMS system so this would be a great beer to brew, the first one I did was a Pale Ale using ONLY Nelson Sauvin hops, can't wait to taste it....going into secondary and dry hop today?

So I need to replace the following hops based on your original post.

Amarillo
Simcoe
Ahtanum

I have these hops available; any thoughts?

Nugget
Northern Brewer
Sterling
Willamette
Merkur
Golding
CTZ

as well as the needed:

Centennial
Cascade
Chinook

(Have more of these three also)

just trying to use what I have on hand...I might have to build this in Beer Smith and see what comes out.
Thanks in advance.....

Centennial, Cascade and CTZ are your best bet - maybe Chinook and Nugget...but definitely not the rest of your available hops (I'm not familiar with Merkur). The idea is very floral and citrusy hops.

Centennial, Cascade and CTZ are your best bet - maybe Chinook and Nugget...but definitely not the rest of your available hops (I'm not familiar with Merkur). The idea is very floral and citrusy hops.

Thanks,

Yeah I might just go down and see if I can get the other hops to make this more correct. LOL

Merkur:

Comes from the Hallertau Magnum variety, origin is Germany, 2000, its Dual Purpose hop, earthy with some citrus, some floral and herbal flavors

12-14% AA
5-6% Beta
Cohumulone 18-20%

Thanks for the info! Looks like Merkur would be a good bittering hop for an IPA - maybe even Flower Power.

Yeah, why not get all the correct hops if it's available to you.

I think I am going to try the following...

16.50 lbs 2 Row
6 oz Honey Malt
4 oz C40

1 oz Centennial 60 min
.5 oz Amarillo 50 min
1 oz Citra 40 min
1 oz Chinook 35 min
1 oz Simcoe 30 min
1 oz Cascade 25 min
1 oz Willamette 20 min
.50 oz Amarillo 15 min
Irish Moss 10 min

7 days into secondary and dry hop with 1 oz leaf, Cascade, Goldings and 1 oz Simcoe pellets

You might want to bump up the honey malt. I know that people warn about using too much, but Flower Power is pretty intense in both sweetness and bitterness.

I currently have a version of this going, used 12 oz. of honey malt for 5.5 gallon (i don't see an issue using a full pound, the way OP has it) - the sample I had the other day was delicious. I also used about 23% of german pilsner, thought it be nice.

I'm on the fence, in general, with Willamette - not my favorite hop. I must say I don't see it being at home in this beer.

Recipe looks good to me as well--- also not sure about the wilamette. I have also used some Citra @ 15 in this recipe in the past as well- , and that was nice. I too have used varying amounts of honey malt and they have all been great. If I do however use a full pound of honey malt then I make sure I use slightly more sparge water and this seems to keep my color down to about 7 SRM as opposed to 9 or 10. This is atleast how I prefer it. Enjoy.

Recipe looks good to me as well--- also not sure about the wilamette. I have also used some Citra @ 15 in this recipe in the past as well- , and that was nice. I too have used varying amounts of honey malt and they have all been great. If I do however use a full pound of honey malt then I make sure I use slightly more sparge water and this seems to keep my color down to about 7 SRM as opposed to 9 or 10. This is atleast how I prefer it. Enjoy.

This is what I am going to end up going with, thanks for the help..will advise how it turns out!

Amount Item Type % or IBU

Grain Bill
15.50 lb Base 2 Row US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.94 %
0.75 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 1.52 %

Boil
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (60 min) Hops 26.1 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] (50 min) Hops 11.6 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [14.50 %] (40 min) Hops 33.3 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [11.20 %] (35 min) Hops 24.3 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 26.1 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (25 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 8.7 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo [9.30 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU

0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc

1 Pkgs Dry Ale Yeast (Safale #US-05) Yeast-Ale

DRY Secondary
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -

As Per Beer Smith
Est Original Gravity: 1.082 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.023 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.67 %
Bitterness: 146.0 IBU
Calories: 362 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.7 SRM

thanks again very excited to make this beer tomorrow!

WAORGANY said:
Thanks me too, I bumped up the honey to a 1 lbs when I was measuring it out last night!

Let us know how it turns out. I love honey but am finding out I don't like honey malt. My Hopslam clone came out similar to my attempt at this and I'm not a fan. Personal preference I guess.

Im from Pittsburgh and now live in FL. A couple months ago i was up in PA and had this beer. unfortunately i cant get it down here, but now that i have found this recipe and it seems to be close i am def going to make this. It will make me and the wife both happy as we both really liked this beer! :D

Let us know how it turns out. I love honey but am finding out I don't like honey malt. My Hopslam clone came out similar to my attempt at this and I'm not a fan. Personal preference I guess.

Have you had the real Flower Power, and if so, do you like it?

Im from Pittsburgh and now live in FL. A couple months ago i was up in PA and had this beer. unfortunately i cant get it down here, but now that i have found this recipe and it seems to be close i am def going to make this. It will make me and the wife both happy as we both really liked this beer! :D

Yeah, Ithaca Brewery only serves the Northeast states, unfortunately.

But at least you have Yuengling in Florida (I'm originally from PA as well) - I know they get mixed reviews on this forum but I like their beer.

DoctorDuvel said:
Have you had the real Flower Power, and if so, do you like it?

Love Flower Power and Hopslam. I used 12oz honey malt (5% grist) on my FP attempt and didn't like the results, too dark also. If I tried again I'd cut it in half to 6oz.

Back