Bottling straight from spigot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I made the mistake of bottling straight from the spigot and not using a bottling wand. I now realize this is putting unwanted oxygen into the beer bottles. Will this mistake effect the taste of the beer or will it just shorten its shelf life?

You might wind up with wet cardboard taste. That's what O2 does at this point. But it depends on how much it got aerated.

though i don't, i know a lot of guys who do this with seemingly no ill effects.

if you are bottling something like an IPA or a cream ale or a wheat that will be drunk quickly, i wouldn't worry about it. if you're bottling beers that will age, you probably want to avoid this, as the effects of oxygenation take some time to show up and could ruin an otherwise wonderful and mature beer.

my bottling want just has 1.5" piece of tubing attached to it.. 1 inch on the wand, the other half goes onto the spigot.. makes it easy to use when the wand is fairly secure to the bucket so you can just push up with one hand and have the other ready for the next bottle

+1 I also bottle from the spigot with a bottling wand and I haven't seen any difference than with a siphon. I've noticed Nottingham floculates really well also which is good with the spigot being about an inch and a half above the bottom of the bucket.

Back