Turkey Fryers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do AG and I use a turkey fryer. However, I actually use the pot that came with it and do it inside on my stove usually. I like brewing in my kitchen.

But, I have a major stove that kicks butt. Most people can't boil 7 gallons on their kitchen stove. If I want to brew outside, I use the turkey fryer.

Ya man best thing since sliced bread... Plus I can do it outside and keep the smell out of the house ... which keeps the wife happy, which keeps me very happy :)

Another vote. The burner is good/great, my only complaint is that the 30qt pot is a little small. But if you watch it fairly closely you can avoid boilovers.

Nearly everone uses the burner, some even use the pot.

I use my Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer. I've done extract brews in it and I'm ready to begin AG batches (everything willing, this weekend) with it.

I can say this, versus a stainless steel pot on my kitchen stove it kicks butt. However, it's only slightly faster doing a full boil than doing a partial boil on my stove. If you're still trying to figure out if homebrewing is for you, grab a turkey fryer! You'll love it!

If you already KNOW howmebrewing is for you (I knew after batch three and 20 gallons of apfelwein I was going all the way) then spend some money in a high powered burner and a nice LARGE kettle (aluminum is fine!) because the speed and efficiency will pay for itself after a few batches.

Good luck! In the end the brewer, not the equipment, determine how good a beer is. :)

Do any of you guys use the fryer on a wooden deck? (I can almost hear the laughter from here) :) But seriously, will I burn the place down?

Only if you're cooking under the deck. :D
I've seen some brew stands made out of wood. It can be done, you just have to use common sense.

Wild

my turkey fryer was the best present my inlaws ever gave me......I have yet to cook a turkey

Most excellent!

It sure seemed like a match made in heaven.

Now to watch for Thanksgiving specials...

bluelou6 said:
Do any of you guys use the fryer on a wooden deck? (I can almost hear the laughter from here) :) But seriously, will I burn the place down?

The big fear in cooking on a deck/close to the house is a grease fire or spill/fire. Since wort isn't flammable, there is nor more risk using a cooker than there is a gas grill.

I have a recommendation:

Unless you're looking to purchase right away, and cash isn't an option: wait a month or two. Thanksgiving is right around the corner meaning the fryer prices will be up, up, up.

Just being patient you'll be able to snag one after the holidays at a reduced price. Last year, I picked up a 30 qt stainless for $50 at Academy Sports. A day later I saw a 44 qt stainless at CostCo for only $59!!!! Wish I had gone that route. I'll be on the lookout again this year so I can have a HLT and boil kettle going at the same time.

shafferpilot said:
If you're worried about the deck at all, just put the burner up on a couple cinder blocks

I'd recommend thin, flat paver stones or cap bocks instead of cinder blocks. Or get 4-6 cinder blocks and make a flat raised platform. No sense making that cooker any more tippy...

That said, I put my cooker on a piece of cardboard when frying a turkey. And even that's never been a problem. My wind shield is a plywood box about 1" larger than the pot. It scorches a little right by the flame, but 2" lower (or higher) it is unscathed. I seriously doubt your deck would get enough heat to damage the stain..

Back