Long time for Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hockeyhunter99

Reaction score
Ok guys, need some advise,

Brewed my very first AG on March 24th and put it in the carboy and poured a 800 mL starter of Pacman harvested and washed from Rogue.

Basic pale ale with 8# 2-row, 1# Crystal 20L, cascade hops, REALLY basic.

Sanitation same as usual, all things are going great.

OG. 1.054 SG as of yesterday 1.002! and i still have krausen on top on April 29th.

is this a normal situation?

5 weeks of krausen?? is this because it is all-grain or just something that happens?

i have over 40 extracts and mini-mashes under my belt and have NEVER had a krausen last this long.

1.002? have you checked your hydrometer with some distilled water at 60F to see what it reads? I'm thinking if you've really got 1.002 there is something else in there besides pacman eating those sugars, maybe some wild yeast or bacteria.

My last all grain, a Cream Ale, had a krauzen for 3 weeks. It fell two weeks after FG had been reached. I was told in my situation it was due to a lot of proteins in the beer but can't say for sure. If your gravity is stable you should be fine to rack underneath it and package.

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, because you've brewed about 10 times more than me, but did you make sure it's actual krausen in the carboy and not just stuff stuck to the glass from when there was krausen? I made this mistake the first time I had a vigorous enough fermentation to get it all the way to the top of the carboy.

Buna_Bere said:
1.002? have you checked your hydrometer with some distilled water at 60F to see what it reads? I'm thinking if you've really got 1.002 there is something else in there besides pacman eating those sugars, maybe some wild yeast or bacteria.

Hate to say this but I agree here, 1.002 is crazy attenuation and an infection can't be ruled out, perhaps you can post a picture of this krausen?

Krausen.jpg

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence, because you've brewed about 10 times more than me, but did you make sure it's actual krausen in the carboy and not just stuff stuck to the glass from when there was krausen? I made this mistake the first time I had a vigorous enough fermentation to get it all the way to the top of the carboy.

i thank you for not insulting me, but i can still get the "Holy ****, i don't know what is going on!!!" moments. i thought maybe it was an AG thing but now i can't help but think i got a problem

It's a little difficult to be 100% sure but based on this picture and your description of what's occurred it appears that an infection has taken hold, perhaps I am wrong. I would give it a smell and even a taste, it won't kill you or make you sick, just grab a sample from below.

It should smell or taste sour and off

This is the second generation with the strain from Rogue. (harvest from a few daddy's little helper). used it with another beer that turned out great. i think i am going to bottle it and see what happens. maybe do a a turn and burn with the exact same recipe and a fresh pack of yeast to see the difference. i know i am not going to wash this batch.

Back