3 1/2 weeks in secondary, HELP!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOHN51277

Reaction score
I have had the cider in the secondary for about 3 1/2 weeks and its still bubbling at 5-6 per minute. Should I just prime and bottle, or let it sit for a while longer, the bubbles are all uniform in size and are pretty clear, and the cider is clearing up nicely. I need a second or third opinion before proceding with the bottling. It has been stored at about 65-70 f for the entire process, I used a nottingham yeast.

I have yet to brew a cider, but if you are still bubbling I would not bottle. You would not want to have the explode:eek:

I haven't had this problem, but I'd say that if its still bubbling and you add priming sugar and then bottle you're probably only making cider bombs (exploding bottles). . .

Your still way to early to bottle, I would guess between 10 and 12 weeks before it's ready. From the batches I've make that's the norm, but that's also with dry wine yeast. May be able to bottle quicker with other yeasts, not sure. If it's still fermenting at that rate, it's definitely to early to bottle.

well I guess Im going to go with the concensus on this one. I thought from what Ive read that it would ferment like beer. I wonder if I move it to the house which is at a steady 72 if it will ferment a lil quicker. I was hoping to have it for christmas when I brewed it, but that will not be the case here. Thanks again for the fast replies, I really appreciate it.

You could bottle some in old champagne bottles. It would just carbonate a lot. (although, I have seen even champagne bottles explode).

By all means, bring it inside. Speeding the ferment up at this point shouldn't be a problem.

My OG was at 1.046, I didnt check my SG, I dont want to chance contamination. I guess I could check it, but what is that going to tell me?? I have heard that FG's have been as low as 1.000-.990, If it is still bubbling like it is, I still need to wait to bottle due to cider bombs. I am going to heed the advice of the previous posts so that I dont get exploding bottles.

If someone else has any advice I am open to it.

I must admit when my second cider stopped at 0.996 I was surprised. I've seen them even lower since.

Well I am down to 4 bubbles per minute or one every 15 seconds. Should I wait longer or prime and bottle??? Is the priming ratio the same with cider as it is with beer?? I have 4 lbs of corn sugar. I was going to boil up 3/4 cup and put in bucket before bottling.

I would give it time as well. I have a batch of plain apple (with a pound of sugar) that is going on 3 1/2 weeks in primary right now. It is down to about 4-5 bubbles a minute. I plan on leaving it for another week and then transferring it to secondary for a couple of weeks after that.

For me that is the hardest part about making cider . . . the waiting. But, I am told that it is worth it. Let us know how it turns out.

missing said:
For me that is the hardest part about making cider . . . the waiting. But, I am told that it is worth it.

Waiting was very hard. Have you ever gone to the cider mill and got some cider.. started drinking it but it was in the fridge just a bit longer then you were aware of.... you take a drink and it is umm..... kinda a sharp tang. Well that's what my cider tasted like for about ... oh... 6 or 7 months before it smoothed out a bit.

Latest posts

Back