American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjg130

Reaction score
So this is my first beer that I have ever brewed. It is an American Pale Ale. Been in the bottle two weeks. Went to open it and saw a small glob of scum at the bottom of the bottle. I thought to myself that it looks like mold. I did a soak in oxyclean to remove the label and then a soak in starsan to sanitize. I guess I didn't rinse the bottle good enough when I first drank it and didn't pay much attention to it when bottling it because it was mold from old beer sitting in the bottom of it. Just poured it into the glass and let me tell you it taste great. Goes to show you that it takes a lot to ruin a beer. Especially when I introduced mold to it when bottling. I still can't believe that I brewed it and can't wait to do a brown ale this weekend.

2011-12-19 21.38.06.jpg

That is not mold! Mold would be on top.
That is probably just the yeast and sediment from your beer. That is normal. Just pour carefully and leave the sediment behind. Sounds like you have a very good beer. ENJOY!

Pretty sure it was mold. Caught one bottle before I bottled into it. It wasn't from the beer that I bottled. It was leftover from an old beer and not cleaned very well afterwards. But it taste great. Drinking it right now. Cheers!!!

That could have also been dried up sediment. I would think that if it was mold you would have ended up with something really nasty tasting.

Back