Double Wit Extract Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katetbetrue

Reaction score
I have been wanting to take a crack at an "Imperial" Wit for some time, and haven't found many tried and true recipes out there, so I came up with this one. I am relatively new to brewing, and this is my first attempt at making my own recipe. Does this sound like it would be decent? Please be brutally honest. This comes to about $82 on AHB, so I'd rather not waste the money.

Fermentable Ingredients
5 lbs. Extra Light DME
3 lbs. Wheat DME
3 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey [add just after flame-out (to preserve honey flavor)]

Specialty Grains (Steep @ 160 degrees x 45-60min.)
0.5 lb. Flaked Oats
1 lb. Flaked Wheat

1 oz. Tradition (60 min.)
1 oz. Spalt (45 min.)
2 oz. Coriander Seed (10 min.)
0.75 oz. Bitter Orange Peel (10 min.)
0.75 oz. Sweet Orange Peel (10 min.)
1 oz. Centennial (Dry Hop in secondary x 1 week)

Wyeast Trappist High Gravity #3787 vs. Wyeast Belgian Witbier #3944
Est. OG per BeerSmith: 1.091
Est. FG: 1.019
Est. ABV: 9.39%

Looks ok to me, though you might want to throw in something with enzymes with your specialty grains, or maybe go with malted wheat and oats instead.

AHB is really overpriced. The same ingredients come to about $40 even at Rebel Brewer without the honey. (They don't carry honey.) Maybe order from them ($7.99 flat shipping rate, too!) and find some good local honey?

Oh, forgot to include the yeast. That probably would push it up to ~$45.

Also, I once made a similar beer with 9 lbs of wheat LME and 3 lbs of honey, and it came out great. I don't remember what hops I used; I think probably Hallertau. You could also save a little $$$ by using fresh orange zest rather than the dried stuff. Just use a peeler to shave off the outer layer of the skin.

Latest posts

Back