Consume or Cellar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drink or Torture?

• Consume immediately and bask in the roast

• Cellar it and wait for the flavor to mature

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hey...go get another bottle. Drink one now, cellar the other. We're not talking about first-growth Bordeaux here, it's only like $6.50 for a bottle. I've got one in my fridge right now, think I'll drink it tonight.

Evan! said:
Hey...go get another bottle. Drink one now, cellar the other. We're not talking about first-growth Bordeaux here, it's only like $6.50 for a bottle. I've got one in my fridge right now, think I'll drink it tonight.

Sure...that's the easy answer and I could grab another bottle (and I plan to)..but the question pop'd into my head so I thought I would throw it down here and see what the gallery has to say! Not to mention that I am a bit impatient for cellaring in the first place :)

It has been moving off the shelf pretty quick 'round here btw.

Yeah, my beer cellar is much more sparse than my wine cellar. Gotta say, I'm looking forward to the day, 15 or 20 years from now, when I can crack open those 4 bottles of JW Lees' barleywine, each of which has been aged in different kinds of barrels (calvados, whiskey, sherry, port). Damn. I also have some sort of wacky bottle of Dutch barleywine that cost $12 for a 12oz. But the options for longterm beer cellaring are few and far between. Imperial stout is a good one, though. I like aging Avery's Czar and Mephistopheles.

Evan! said:
Yeah, my beer cellar is much more sparse than my wine cellar. Gotta say, I'm looking forward to the day, 15 or 20 years from now, when I can crack open those 4 bottles of JW Lees' barleywine, each of which has been aged in different kinds of barrels (calvados, whiskey, sherry, port). Damn. I also have some sort of wacky bottle of Dutch barleywine that cost $12 for a 12oz. But the options for longterm beer cellaring are few and far between. Imperial stout is a good one, though. I like aging Avery's Czar and Mephistopheles.

ok....just had to wipe that little spot of drool from the side of my mouth as I read your post. Don't need the coworkers thinking I just stroked out on them. :mug:

Historically that stout ages very well. I've had bottles that were several years old. Right now, I have three years worth of Black Panther in the chest. Not as well known, but I think it's even better.

david_42 said:
Historically that stout ages very well. I've had bottles that were several years old. Right now, I have three years worth of Black Panther in the chest. Not as well known, but I think it's even better.

Black Panther....hmmmm...I haven't heard of that one before but I have had some bad luck with beers from the south east asia region.

Glibbidy said:
I say you get another bottle, consume one, and cellar the other :tank:

which in my case will wind up with one being consumed now and the other being consumed in a couple weeks! :ban: :eek:

Actually, I might stash one just for the heck of it since I keep seeing folks mention how well this one cellars.

Yep, I'm in the "buy another for now" camp and save the other. Patience can realy pay off with something as big as this one appears to be.

"expect it to pour like Siberian Crude and taste even heavier" - WOW

Back