4.5 oz of priming sugar enough for a belgian quad/strong dark ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those types of beers are typically of higher carbonation. 1.9 - 2.4 volumes. Assuming 2.4 volumes, 5 gallons of beer would need 4.2 oz corn sugar, or 3.99 oz table sugar.

So, though it would be a little out of style with 4.5 oz, I don't think anyone could tell the difference. It would put you a little over 2.5 volumes, which is what I shoot for for most of my ales.

Use this when in doubt:
http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

Those types of beers are typically of higher carbonation. 1.9 - 2.4 volumes. Assuming 2.4 volumes, 5 gallons of beer would need 4.2 oz corn sugar, or 3.99 oz table sugar.

So, though it would be a little out of style with 4.5 oz, I don't think anyone could tell the difference. It would put you a little over 2.5 volumes, which is what I shoot for for most of my ales.

Use this when in doubt:
http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

i like mine a bit carbonated. so I guess the 4.5oz would be good. I was even thinking of adding more but I better not.

Question...the chimay blue, that one seems pretty high carbonation to me, do you think that one follows the style in terms of carbonation?

It's hard to say. Might be interesting to research that. I don't know if their website gives any information. That seems to be about the only criticism I've read on it... that the carbonation was maybe too high.

I know temperature play a HUGE part of how carbonated a beer seems (as well as flavor). Most Ales are to be served at cellar temps, not straight from the refrigerator as we do so often in the States. The CO2 releases quicker at warmer temperatures, therefore will produce a bigger head, or gush as opposed to the same beer served too cold. This also releases more subtle flavors that may not be present when colder.

It's hard to say. Might be interesting to research that. I don't know if their website gives any information. That seems to be about the only criticism I've read on it... that the carbonation was maybe too high.

I know temperature play a HUGE part of how carbonated a beer seems (as well as flavor). Most Ales are to be served at cellar temps, not straight from the refrigerator as we do so often in the States. The CO2 releases quicker at warmer temperatures, therefore will produce a bigger head, or gush as opposed to the same beer served too cold. This also releases more subtle flavors that may not be present when colder.

yep, they are definitely better if you let them sit a while at room temps...

hopefully someone can give more insight on this...i don't want a flat tasting westy...

just don't confuse cellar temps with room temps (unless you live where it's really cold...)

Typically cellar temps =roughly 55 to 58 F.
Room temp can range a bit, but is usually considered 70 to 75 F. (at least by me)

I love Ales served at cellar temp, not so much at room temp. :)

:mug:
just don't confuse cellar temps with room temps (unless you live where it's really cold...)

Typically cellar temps =roughly 55 to 58 F.
Room temp can range a bit, but is usually considered 70 to 75 F. (at least by me)

I love Ales served at cellar temp, not so much at room temp. :)

haha, yeah that's what I meant...out of the fridge, let it warm up a bit in room temperature before enjoying :mug:

3+ volumes is more typical for a BSDA, especially a trappist.

I don't know where 1.9-2.4 come from, but most american ales are 2.4-2.6, I'm not drinking a lot of BDSA less carbonated than that.

If you go much higher than 3.5 volumes, you should think about stronger bottles. I believe most regular beer bottles will be potential bombs at carbonation levels that high.

I don't know where 1.9-2.4 come from, but most american ales are 2.4-2.6, I'm not drinking a lot of BDSA less carbonated than that.

so in addition to the 4.5 oz of priming sugar. How much do you think I should add? I have the munton carb tabs. How many do you suggest I add per bottle?

From just about every carbonation calculator I've seen. Like this one:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/carbonation.html

If you have a reference that provides different information, I'd be happy to see it.

----------------
Addendum

Okay, I found BeerSmith says 2.3 - 2.9. That was for a Dark Strong Ale. But I've found nothing definitive.

ill stick to the 4.5oz for now and see how that turns out. In the future if I need more carbonation then i'll make true adjustments then. I don't wanna risk bottle bombs on this batch. I'll probably select a few bottles and add the munton carb tabs to those and see the differences. How do I go about calculating the carbonation on that if say I add one muntons carb tab to a 11.2 oz bottle? or 2 etc...

thanks

Back