Spotted Cow Extract Clone Help / Challenge...Will Donate $25 to HomeBrewTalk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm gonna give this recipe a try. I did some research on Spotted cow. OG is supposed to be 1.048, with 15IBU. Allegedly they use 2-row, Pilsen, and Munich malts with a pinch of crystal. And then the flaked barley and corn. Hops are Norther Brewer and Saaz. So my recipe is going to look like:

Batch: 5.5gal
Eff: 70%

5lb 2-Row (48.5%)
2lb Pilsen (19.4%)
1lb 12oz Flaked Corn (17.5%)
8oz Munich (4.9%)
8oz Flaked Barley (4.9%)
8oz Crystal 20 (4.9%)
0.5oz Northern Brewer (60min) 14IBU
0.5oz Saaz (5min) 2IBU
WYeast 2565 - Kolsch

Mash at 150* Ferment at 62*

Approx OG: 1.048
Approx FG: 1.011
SRM: 4.4L
IBU: 16
ABV: 4.8%

Unfortunetly, I'm making a couple batches of beer to give out as Holiday gifts, so this Spotted Cow clone is going to have to wait about 2.5-3 months before i can brew it. I think it's going to be VERY close though.

I think that looks great. I really don't get any crystal out of SC, but maybe I have just been missing it. I also think that is a lot of finishing Saaz; I don't get much hop flavor and aroma out of SC.

Where did you get your info? This thread has been a fun one to watch. I wish I liked Spotted Cow, I would brew this. My dead beat friend still hasn't brewed it either...

I did a lot of google searching. Turns out they talk about their brews quite a bit if you take a tour of the brewery, but they are pretty tight lipped if you email them. The folks that toured were able to shead some light on the hops used. I didn't get any solid info on the yeast used, but from tasting it, i'm like 95% it's a kolsch yeast.

I think I can answer that. I choose Munich in this recipe because I have used Munich a lot and know how it works. I have only dabbled with Vienna and so far it has not impressed me. I can get very dry and malty notes out of Munich even in light beers and I have not been as successful with Vienna. (I admit it could be mental, I really avoid Crystal malts as much as possible too on the same suspicions.)

That said, maybe Vienna is what gets this beer the closest...

13% flaked barley seems rather high to me. How was the mouthfeel on that thing? Seems like that much unmalted barley would give the beer a creaminess not present in SC. Again, experimenting is the only way to dial in, that is just my feel for it.

I am not sure what you mean by "brighter". Generally, brightness refers to the clarity of the beer. In which case, you could use clarifiers or filtering to further brighten the beer. A long cold crash or lager is imperative for clear beer with Koelsch yeast as it is not a good floculator (typically). It you are talking about a color change (e.g., more orange or more yellow, etc.) then we can try and fiddle with that via the grains. Maybe take a side by side photo and we can go from there? Else, just give us some more descriptors...

I checked out that NB recipe and am surprised as well. My first thought is that that would not make a good clone, but who knows??? Maybe it is right on the money. I would love to try some of the clone...

Thanks. I currently have the ingredients for my second brew of SC, but I was a little over served Saturday night, and there went brewing on Sunday.
My first SC did have a creaminess, but I detected that in the real SC. Howeverf, I think I will lowedr the flaked barley on this one.
I am also going to try it again with Munich.
The funny thing is that I'm not really a fan of Spotted Cow. I just started all this because a friend wanted my to try it. Now, I feel that I got so close on the first try I want to keep going until I get it. It a learning experience and a challange now.
My next challenge needs to be something I love, like Half Acre Over Ale.

I think I can answer that. I choose Munich in this recipe because I have used Munich a lot and know how it works. I have only dabbled with Vienna and so far it has not impressed me. I can get very dry and malty notes out of Munich even in light beers and I have not been as successful with Vienna. (I admit it could be mental, I really avoid Crystal malts as much as possible too on the same suspicions.)

That said, maybe Vienna is what gets this beer the closest...

13% flaked barley seems rather high to me. How was the mouthfeel on that thing? Seems like that much unmalted barley would give the beer a creaminess not present in SC. Again, experimenting is the only way to dial in, that is just my feel for it.

I am not sure what you mean by "brighter". Generally, brightness refers to the clarity of the beer. In which case, you could use clarifiers or filtering to further brighten the beer. A long cold crash or lager is imperative for clear beer with Koelsch yeast as it is not a good floculator (typically). It you are talking about a color change (e.g., more orange or more yellow, etc.) then we can try and fiddle with that via the grains. Maybe take a side by side photo and we can go from there? Else, just give us some more descriptors...

I checked out that NB recipe and am surprised as well. My first thought is that that would not make a good clone, but who knows??? Maybe it is right on the money. I would love to try some of the clone...

Ah, Brighter!
I didn't answer you. I didn't mean clarity as much as color. Spotted Cow seems more yellow/orange than my brew. Mine had a dull greyness to it.
This Saturday I am going for the color with more Vienna and less flaked barley. Based on those results, I may switch the Vienna to Munich in the next batch.

I'd be willing to bet that most of the ingredients New Glarus uses are from Briess. They seem to be quite proud of using products from Wisconsin (Briess). I used their Munich barley, flaked barley, and 2-row. My clone is in the secondary and hope to move to keg next week.

I'll keep you posted with results, but the smell and color seems on track so far; not the greenish or grayish colors I've heard from others.

Brew this up this weekend... small modification to the first brew I did:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.14 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 4.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 18.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract
1 lbs 7.8 oz Corn, Flaked
3.125 lbs Pale Malt (6 Row)
7.2 oz Munich 10L (Briess)
6.1 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess)
.5 oz Northern Brewer (60 min)
.5 oz Saaz (30 min)
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565)

Decided to convert the recipe over to a partial mash, then swap the hops out for what was listed a couple posts back. But I figured I'd do 30 min on the Saaz rather then 5 to avoid any aroma that might not be present in the original.

Had krausen at 16 hours! Don't think I am going to cold crash though.

My conversion to PM in beersmith gave me an est. OG of 1.049. I wasn't paying attention and shot for 1.045. So I have 5.5 gal instead of 5... no biggie.

Brew this up this weekend... small modification to the first brew I did:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
.5 oz Saaz (30 min)

Decided to convert the recipe over to a partial mash, then swap the hops out for what was listed a couple posts back. But I figured I'd do 30 min on the Saaz rather then 5 to avoid any aroma that might not be present in the original.

Had krausen at 16 hours! Don't think I am going to cold crash though.

My conversion to PM in beersmith gave me an est. OG of 1.049. I wasn't paying attention and shot for 1.045. So I have 5.5 gal instead of 5... no biggie.

What was your mash temp and length?

Did you raise the temp @ mash out?

US or Czech Saaz hops?

Very interested in brewing this. Just built the recipe in Brewmaster's Warehouse Brew Builder, says the target O.G. is 1.056.

Single Infusion Batch Sparge

Mashed 60 min @ 152

Sparged @ 170

US Saaz i think, I'll have to check. I don't know enough about Partial Mashing to do it any other way than I have... how do you raise the temp at mash out and what are the benefits?

You could brew the original recipe posted by BK (extract with cereal mash) with the hops he has listed and come out with a very good beer. I'm just tweaking to start to get an idea of what happens when hops are changed.

Single Infusion Batch Sparge

Mashed 60 min @ 152

Sparged @ 170

US Saaz i think, I'll have to check. I don't know enough about Partial Mashing to do it any other way than I have... how do you raise the temp at mash out and what are the benefits?

You could brew the original recipe posted by BK (extract with cereal mash) with the hops he has listed and come out with a very good beer. I'm just tweaking to start to get an idea of what happens when hops are changed.

Not really sure what raising the temp at the end of the mash does, it was just in the instructions on the partial mash kit I brewed this weekend and I wanted to make sure it wasn't necessary for this.

Huh, I've never done it. Unless that's what it means when you sparge with 170 degree water?

I took the 152 temp from the PM kit that Northern Brewer sells...

yeah that's basically my procedure... dump in my 170 degree water, stir. Let it sit for 10 minutes then vorlouf (sp?).

Raising the temperature of the bed at the end of the mash is called a "mash out" step. This means bring the temp up to around 170º and holding it for 15 minutes. This temperature will denature the enzymes int he mash and stop conversion, effectively locking in your fermentable profile. An added bonus is that the mash will be more fluid and runoff can be easier.

They are not necessary, and not all recipes are designed for them.

Very interesting. I thought this was a step for all recipes.

So how would I know when not to sparge? Or is there a different method to be used sometimes? Can it have a negative affect at all?

Raising the temperature of the bed at the end of the mash is called a "mash out" step. This means bring the temp up to around 170º and holding it for 15 minutes. This temperature will denature the enzymes int he mash and stop conversion, effectively locking in your fermentable profile. An added bonus is that the mash will be more fluid and runoff can be easier.

They are not necessary, and not all recipes are designed for them.

Very interesting. I thought this was a step for all recipes.

So how would I know when not to sparge? Or is there a different method to be used sometimes? Can it have a negative affect at all?

No, you're misunderstanding us. Mashing out and sparging aren't the same.

When mashing out, you apply heat at the end of the mash.

When sparging, you heat up a separate amount of water, then pour that over the grains to rinse any sugars out.

I'll be brewing this in a month or so. I'm going with the receipe I posted before, but I'm going to cut the crystal 10* back to 4oz, or maybe 6oz. There's a touch of crystal in there, but not much at all.

Tasted the speckled heifer... wow... it's VERY good. I don't think it's quite the same as spotted cow.. it matches the style, but then again I dont think NB is passing it off as a clone.. still damned good and one i'll keep brewing it to keep this one in stock..

I brewed my clone on Sunday:

4lb 4oz 2-Row
1lb 10oz Pilsen
1lb 7oz Flaked Corn
8oz Munich
8oz Flaked Barley
8oz Crystal 10L
0.5oz Northern Brewer (60min)
0.5oz Saaz (15min)
WYeast 2565 - Kolsch
Mashed at 150*, Ferment at 61*

I've got high hopes for this one. FYI, Kolsch Yeast is MESSY!!!

A blowoff tube is 100% necessary for this brew

Okay, so I just read through ALLLL 14 pages of this thread tonight. And it sounds like people have had GREAT success, and I would like to be one of those people. Unfortunately, I am not an All Grain Brewer (yet). So Borderij, or anyone, do you have the most up to date recipe in a extract recipe, or a partial mash? with the cereal mash process?

New to brewing, and as a Minnesotan who lives on the border, I frequently cross the border for this tasty treat and would like to make it home. PLEASE! Any help would be great, THANKS!

Extract with Cereal Mash from BK... brewed and drank by everyone as a house favorite so far:

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Spotted Cow (extract)
Brewer: Justin Stewart Talbot
Style: Kolsch
TYPE: Extract

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
4 lbs 12.6 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 61.91 %
1 lbs 7.8 oz Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 19.28 %
10.0 oz Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.09 %
7.2 oz Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.81 %
6.1 oz Barley, Flaked (Briess) (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.92 %
1.26 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] (60 min)Hops 18.9 IBU
0.50 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 6.91 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Notes:
------
The day before brewday prepare a 1L (1quart) starter by adding 100 grams of light DME to 1000mL of water, bring to boil for 15 minutes, cool in sink to 70º, then pitch smack pack. Aerate by shaking as often as possible until brewday.

On brew day: In your main brew kettle, steep Munich malt with 2 quarts of water in a large grain bag at 155º. While the Munich is steeping, in a separate kettle (cereal kettle), combine the corn, flaked barley, 6-row, and 4 quarts (1 gallon) of water and bring to 155º. After a 10 minute rest, slowly bring the cereal kettle to a boil. Boil for 30 minutes. Then dump the cereal mash into the grain bag holding the Munich malt in your main kettle. Mix well within the bag and make sure the water seeps through the whole thing.

Lift the grain bag out of the water, and fill the kettle to the largest pre-boil volume your kettle can handle by pouring the water slowly through the grains int he lifted bag. This will rinse the sugars out of the grain and into the kettle. If you have a smaller kettle, use Fermcap-S to avoid boil overs and increase your boil volume.

Bring the kettle to boil. Remove kettle from heat, stir in half the DME. Bring back to boil and start boil timer. Add hops as directed. At 15 minutes remaining in the boil, add the remaining DME and half a Whirlfloc tablet along with some yeast nutrient.

Cool to pitching temps (68º) via ice bath or whatever. Pitch entire yeast starter. Ferment at 68º actual fermentation temperature (likely about 62º ambient). After fermentation is complete (about 7 days), cold crash to 32º or as cold as you can.

In 14 days, bottle keg or do whatever you like. Wait for conditioning and enjoy!

This should drop in gravity to about 1.008 ish or at least 1.010. A good starter and plenty of O2 at the start of fermentation are important to dry this beer out.

Partial Mash version I just bottle with a hop modification to test some previous posts about specific hops used by New Glaurus

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------
.5 oz Saaz (30 min)

If your ever in the cities I can pass a bottle on to you to try.

If I am reading this correct, is the first recipe with the notes the way you do it with the "partial cereal mash" and the second "tweaked" recipe an all extract recipe?

This is only my 4th batch, so reading some of the lingo, I wanna make sure I have things straight.

Nope, first recipe is an extract version with a cereal mash for the corn/barley and a steeping of specialty grains.

The second recipe is a Partial Mash version I created to reduce the amount of extract and increase the amount of grain. No cereal mash was needed, all grains were mashed together.

Once I moved to partial mash's quite a few batches ago, I have managed to refrain from doing any extract batches.

The cereal mash was fun though, and a good experience.

Now that I look at it though, Im not entirely sure I need all my base malt to be 6-row. Looks like the 6-row was in the extract recipe to help break down the corn/barley? Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in here.

I guess I have read that 6-row and 2-row really aren't all that different?

And I get almost all my supplies from Midwest in St. Louis Park, and there two options are Crisp or Breiss. From reading from other people they are saying go Breiss?

(But then again I'm not sure too much the difference between 6 or 2 row or what they are)

Wookie is correct about the 6-row. That barley has a larger diastatic power (ability to convert starches) and is used often with large percentages of adjunct to ensure conversion. I would say for a partial mash with larger grain proportion, I would use 75% 2-row and 25% 6-row. The grains do have a different taste.

I use Briess and am pretty sure that New Glarus does as well.

Wookie is correct about the 6-row. That barley has a larger diastatic power (ability to convert starches) and is used often with large percentages of adjunct to ensure conversion. I would say for a partial mash with larger grain proportion, I would use 75% 2-row and 25% 6-row. The grains do have a different taste.

I use Briess and am pretty sure that New Glarus does as well.

And for All-grain would you use all all 2-row, or would still mix in some 6-row?

I'd still toss in some 6-row. Why not. Sounds fun to me.

Really though, I doubt the 6-row is really necessary with any of it. If you don't have any or whatever, don't sweat it.

I have my second version of Spotted Cow clone in the bottle carbing/ageing, and for the third try I am swapping the Vienna I used with Munich (and all adjustments I need to do with that swap). I guess I will leave the 6-row out, and maybe try that on batch 4.

I was reading about the Fermentis SafAle K-97. Internet research leads me to believe it is a kolsch yeast. I think I might try it in my fourth version of this recipe.

Alright, you guys have been GREAT so far, one more thing. Could you guys point me to a good partial mash instruction. I kinda got in head over heels and mighta really messed it up. But I'm gunna go through with it just to see how it turns out (and that I have extra bottles).

So that, and can either of you helpful souls tell me, for instance in the partial mash recipe, it says 1 lb 7.8 oz corn. That is 23.8 oz corn correct? Yes, NEWB, I KNOW! But I want the cow, and I'll do anything for the cow.

THANKS!!!

1 lb is 16 oz

This is what I reference a lot, you can read through it to really get technical... Which you should. But the bulk of what you need starts at page 20. I still read this after multiple PM batches. I'd also purchase beersmith if you haven't.

I was reading about the Fermentis SafAle K-97. Internet research leads me to believe it is a kolsch yeast. I think I might try it in my fourth version of this recipe.
I used this yeast in my attempt to clone the cow; it made a very good beer, a little different taste than Spotted Cow though.

I used this yeast in my attempt to clone the cow; it made a very good beer, a little different taste than Spotted Cow though.

It tastes good? That's good to hear. I really like using dry yeast (less $$$$), and I like US-05, so I was hoping it might be good. I hope to get as close to the Cow as I can, but this will be a little side experiment. Hopefully my cow drinkers will like it more (again, less $$$$). Thanks!

Greetings everyone and thanks for all the hard work trying to get a Spotted Cow brewed. I had already decided on the recipe below and will brew tomorrow. Funny I just saw this thread the night before Im brewing and my recipe is along the same lines as the variations you are working on...Im using about 30% 6 row Pale and 70% Briess 2 Row Pilsen as base malts with Flaked Corn at about 16% and Flaked Barley at 12%. I had decided on Briess Munich at 12% also so we will see.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Spotted Cow AG V2
Brewer: BeerBaronBob
Asst Brewer:
Style: Cream Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.65 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
5.00 lb Pilsen Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.0 SRM) Grain 40.65 %
2.30 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 18.70 %
2.00 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 16.26 %
1.50 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
1.50 lb Munich 10L (Briess) (10.0 SRM) Grain 12.20 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.40 %] (60 min)Hops 14.1 IBU
0.25 oz Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] (30 min)Hops 2.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Kolsch Yeast (Wyeast Labs #2565) [Starter Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 12.30 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.38 qt of water at 169.6 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 8.61 qt of water at 198.3 F 168.0 F

First time with an AG Spotted Cow try. I will have this ready in about 6 weeks. I have a question about fermentation temperatures for the Kolsch. I see ranges on fermentation temps for this yeast up to 70F. What temp is everybody suggesting after all your trials? 62F or more up by 67-68F?

Anybody have suggestions about a 60 min or 90 boil? I had started with a 90 min boil but decided to stay at 60.

With all that pils malt, you're going to need a 90 minute boil unless you want DMS in your beer. Spotted Cow has a slight corn element to it, but not the creamed corn of DMS.

Back