Picture of my first mead!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamDog

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!
Finally got my camera and computer talking to each other so here is a picture of my first mead ever! okay my first homebrew anything ever!! The little jar is the extra.. plan to use that to top off when i rack.
mead.JPG

The picture was taken a few days after I racked my final gravity was 1.001 I added approprate amounts of sorbate/sulfate to take care of any residual yeasties and plan to back sweeten with some honey.. anyone have thoughts on if i should wait till i rack again and just rack onto the honey or should i add it now??
I also just wanted to say thanks to everyone on this board that helped me out.. You guys know who you are and you are all great.. Without you I probably would have really messed this thing up.. Anytime you guys are in the Northern Vermont area let me know.. We can break out a bottle of mead.. better wait a while for it to age tho!

SpamDog

It's very nice!

I'd wait a bit before racking. Let the sorbate and sulfite do its work- maybe three weeks? Then check the s.g. (to make sure it hasn't changed at all) and then go ahead and rack and then sweeten. Check the s.g. before and after sweetening. I'd still let it sit a while after sweetening before bottling- again, just to make sure fermentation doesn't restart. Check the s.g. again about three weeks after sweetening to make sure it didn't change- then you can bottle. You want to make sure that the fermentation is not going to restart on you, and it's better to learn that in the carboy rather than in the bottle.

Thanks for the picture- it's great to see.

Hey spamdog, congrats. My mom and i are going to try and recreate a mead that Magic Hat had back in the 2003 holiday season. I'm in Burlington Vt. What a small world/forum! :ban:

Daburban said:
Hey spamdog, congrats. My mom and i are going to try and recreate a mead that Magic Hat had back in the 2003 holiday season. I'm in Burlington Vt. What a small world/forum! :ban:

That sounds good... I'll have to let you know when this one is ready and you can come give me your thoughts on it.. I am up near St Albans.

Lorena - Thanks for all your help.. if it wasn't for you guys and the people over at GotMead.com I wouldn't have made it this far without alot of problems.
I plan on letting this bulk age till the first week in Oct when it will be bottled for gifts @ our wedding and will be used for our Honey Mead Toast (yeah.. Im Irish) so hopefully it will be good by then.. (if not we go the retail route for the toast and tell them to let the gifts age some more!) Either way it will be great on our 1 year anneversary and even better on our 2.. if it lasts that long!

SpamDog

Back