Brown Sugar for priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t-bag

Reaction score
Ok so I did a 1 gallon test batch of a Cherry Brown ale and i used brown sugar and cocoa in the recipe. Right now its sitting on top of the cherries in the secondary. Its pretty strong already considering the cocoa i used was more like sugar with some cocoa in it and the brown sugar so i took a hydrometer reading after a week in primary and gravity was at 1.016 and i tasted it and its pretty alcoholic so im guessing my og was something like 1.060 or around there to bring it around a 5.7,5.8 abv. Now add the cherries to the mix so theres more sugar for the yeasties and i want to prime it with brown sugar. has anyone primed with brown sugar before and if so what are the pros/ cons and do you think in this case its a good/bad idea? thanks:drunk::rockin:

It sounds like you already have a lot going on with the cherry and cocoa so I wouldn't think brown sugar would make a huge impact. The pros are the same reason I'd put it on my cereal. It's goooooooood. I say use it.

I primed a pumpkin ale with it and the flavor did come through, but that might not be the case in a darker beer such as yours. I recommend using the same quantity as normal table sugar.

I used turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw, basically) for my first batch of beer.

I also messed with the Mr. Beer recipe and used some honey instead of their booster, so I can't attest to the individual flavors but it was a great beer.

Back