Small kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on what can be done with these smaller type kegs? They are cornie keg size but they have the regular top just like a keg with the ball valve.

What sort of equipment is needed to fill these type kegs with beer?

smallkegs.jpg

You'd need a spear tool to remove the spear. They're pretty difficult to maintain. You'd be better off with cornies.

Search around for instructions on removing the spear. I use mine (sans spear) as a fermenter. The one I have is 7.8 gallons so it works great for 5G batches with no blowoff. Other people have cut holes in the top and mounted corny lids on.

Yeah I can remove the spear but I dont know how to get it back on. That twisty thin washer that pulls out is hard to put back in. We tried and couldnt get it. We got it off with a screwdriver and hammer but Im sure thats not how you put them back on.

Would this work on these type kegs I have pictured? I think this would work on a cornie keg, (never seen one except for pictures). I think this would work on a cornie because the lid on those is removable?

kegcap.jpg

On the small kegs pictured I would have to cut the top off the keg and then there would be a sharp edge around the lip, a small keggle basically. So, I dont think this O-ringed lid would work would it?

You'll have more into altering it for corny lids than in just buying a corny and putting new o-rings on it. If you can do it yourself great but otherwise it is not worth the hassle and expense.

That said, hang onto them for when someone wants them, they are much more rare than any other kegs.

Back