DB's Homemade Salsa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
Quick and Easy Homemade Salsa (~ 3 cups)

Ingredients
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes (or stewed if you like)
1/2 onion diced (larger size, I use vidalia or sweet if can't find the V's)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 lime juiced
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup canned mild green chiles
6 tbs fresh chopped cilantro (1/2 it if not into cilantro that much as we love it)
1 tsp chili powder

Spice Factor
Mild - 2 fresh diced Jalapeno's de-seeded and de-veined
Medium - 2 fresh diced Jalapeno's (leave the seeds/guts)
Hot - 4 fresh diced Jalapeno's (leave the seeds/guts)

NOTE: Jalapeno's can have widely varying heat factor. These are 2-3" peppers & this works well for my summer peppers. Once it gets cooler out mine get hotter! Heck, go for it and follow the recipe.

Directions
Strain the canned tomatoes if you don't want runny salsa and toss it all in your blender on a low speed. Once it all starts spinning (may need to stop/stir) go for about 15-30 seconds or until you like the consistency. Toss it in a container and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs to let the flavors blend (I prefer 24 hrs). Enjoy and/or adjust to your tastes. Takes about 10 minutes.

I usually 1/2 it and make a mild/medium for the wife and hot for me. If one is too much/little of something just add whatever and spin it a bit more.

Looks good. I'll give it a try. Have you ever tried adding any lime juice?

Also, I've used a combination of jalapenos and Serrano peppers.

Now that sounds good! The wife and I love spending part of the afternoon drinking margaritas and making salsa. We're definitely going to give this a go.

We'll wait to share any pico de gallo recipe's until that whole fresh tomatoe thing rolls by ;).

Living in AZ and no jalapeños in your salsa? Being a homebrew from AZ heat to your sauce is a must...it will help balance out the HOT summers. Your recipe is very close to mine except a few pinches of sugar to calm down the acids.

Living in AZ and no jalapeños in your salsa? Being a homebrew from AZ, I recommend adding some heat to your sauce...it will help balance out the HOT summers. Your recipe is very close to mine except 2 pickled jalapeños chopped up and a few pinches of sugar to calm down the acids.

Checkie the Spice Factor section. I'll try the sugar. That's what the 24h wait time seems to calm down a bit.

We made one tonight much like this, except we used fresh plum tomatoes for a better* flavour and a more salsa fresca taste. Also, ate immediately w/o marrying time. Tons of cilantro in ours - didn't measure, but it was a big bunch. Perhaps twenty 8" stalks minced finely.

I've been musing - jalapenos really aren't just my parents' peppers. They've got a really mild wonderful smooth flavour with a nice touch of heat, even if they aren't particularly spicy. We used three pureed seeds and all.

*better here defined as, well, fresher and more fruity-flavourful. I've never liked the flavour of bigger (husky/beefsteak/whatever). They seem to be bred mainly to fit nicely on a burger.

Further edit: wow, just cracked an OSH (killed my hb keg earlier today), and it's smooth and malty and the perfect complement to this.

Back