unusually bitter Newcastle clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Movinfr8

Reaction score
as the title says, I did a newcastle clone from AHBS and it is conditioning for a couple of weeks. drew some off yesterday to sample and add to steak marinade and SWMBO said it was too bitter for her. Since she is the one I brew this for, I need to get it right... Any suggestions? could I sterilize a half gallon of water? add something? any suggestions welcome..
nrom

No need to panic yet, It will mellow with time. If you are really concerned, you could start a new fermentation by adding a gallon of similar unhopped wort. I would not cut it with water, unless swmbo doesn't mind if it has less malt flavor and less alcohol.

How long has it been sitting?

Also, you might want to try brewing a Southern England Brown, since they are milder (http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category11.html#style11B) as the IBU is lower. You might want to try somethine with the maltiness of a northern (up to 1.052 OG) but with the bitterness of a southern (12-20IBUs, where as a northern is 20-30). This would give you maltier balance.

I would reserve your final judgement for when its bottled and conditioned for a few weeks, then try it again.

mrfocus said:
How long has it been sitting?

Also, you might want to try brewing a Southern England Brown, since they are milder (http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/Category11.html#style11B) as the IBU is lower. You might want to try somethine with the maltiness of a northern (up to 1.052 OG) but with the bitterness of a southern (12-20IBUs, where as a northern is 20-30). This would give you maltier balance.

I think I just found our next beer! thanks. As far as this one, it was brewed Dec. 4. a week in primary, a short 1 week in secondary, and after reading on here about conditioning in the keg, I racked it over on the 18th, so I guess it needs a lot more time to be considered ready! Hopefully, it will continue to lighten up. Thanks,
Norm

Back