Ready to get this party started... with tons of help of course

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks jon... i have learned alot from your postings. If you are ever in the inland empire feel free to hit me up to check it out

I definitely will.

For draining the pumps, you can put a cake pan under the pump to catch the liquid when you disconnect the lines. I never remove my pumps. I just push clean water through them after brew day and then do PBW recirc after about 6 batches.

Looks good! All that work is about to pay off. What's the first batch going to be?

hmmmm sooo hard to decide. I have like 30 pounds of hops that have been sitting for 6 months so some BIG ipa's are in the near future but maybe the whitehouse porter for the inaugural brew with the inauguration comoing up just for giggles.

that hopspider is on the xmas list for swmbo so ill get you some pics of all your stainless at work once it is all together.

Dude, it looks great! Nice job. I made the "Janet's Brown Ale" and it's one of the best beers I have ever made, I love the stuff. It has a lot of hops but is well balanced by the malts. I agree with the other poster about the location of the pumps but for a different reason. I like to keep them high enough so if I'm transferring the cooled wart to carboys I can use gravity after my counter flow chiller with or without using the pumps. That's just the way I do it. I also use drawer slides so I can slide them out of the way to both protect the pumps and my legs. LOL

Have a Nice Christmas, Castermmt

Drawer slides would be a nice addition...I'll add that to the list for version 2.0. I also want to swap the diamond plate for butcher block since I'm in the process of adding a blast counter and they will look good together in the kitchen....

This entire project has been a learning experience for me.. Funny that I saw your setup before I even saw Kals and I was soooo amazed by it and never thought I'd be able to build anything even close. Thanks for the kind words

First brew day

image.jpg

its "No beer before flame out" not "lots of beer before flame on" !...

The rig looks awesome, all be it if it is up side down! happy brewing!!!

Better turn the keggles right side up so you don't spill everything!

No wonder it didn't work!....lol I have no experience with Mac and my wonderful mother got me an ipad.... I hate the stupid thing.

Pictures look good on the ipad but post upside down or sideways. Any ideas?

Well the brew is happily fermenting but my brew day went horrible, the stem of one of my valves leaked, heating element leaked, pump wouldn't prime, and my bcs programming was horrible, plus one of my three way switches wouldn't stay all the way in the auto position. If I let go of the switch the contractor would switch off.

Then I had to run out to the garage and steal the washer hose cause I dint realize the plate chiller needed female to female water connection.

But I learned a lot!

image.jpg

its "No beer before flame out" not "lots of beer before flame on" !...

The rig looks awesome, all be it if it is up side down! happy brewing!!!

And electric means no flame so tuns of drinking all day long...haha, shoot the day went so bad I even forgot to shake my smack pack before opening and pitching

I did a wet test and knew the element had a slow drip but didn't find the ball valve problem until the brew session. I pulled the handle off and snugged the stem nut nut a bit and it stopped leaking once I started boiling... I can't make. Excuses for anything else though.... The pid setting that recognizes seperate inputs for the same output during diff ant states will help hit temps correctly next time

And electric means no flame so tuns of drinking all day long...haha, shoot the day went so bad I even forgot to shake my smack pack before opening and pitching

First off Congratulations on your first brew on your new rig. :mug:
Once your have that sucker dialed in you'll have plenty of time between task. I have my laptop on my brew stand so I can read while I wait. Everyone has a few issues/wrinkles in the beginning but each thing that goes wrong is another bonus learning experience. LOL
Unless your brewing outdoors, I see an exhaust hood in your future. Brew On Brother:rockin:

First off Congratulations on your first brew on your new rig. :mug:
Once your have that sucker dialed in you'll have plenty of time between task. I have my laptop on my brew stand so I can read while I wait. Everyone has a few issues/wrinkles in the beginning but each thing that goes wrong is another bonus learning experience. LOL
Unless your brewing outdoors, I see an exhaust hood in your future. Brew On Brother:rockin:

Bonus learning experience ehh....at the time it was a whole lot of cussin. I will definitely be thinking of how to integrate a hood. It had the kitchen pretty humid during the boil

Nice setup. My own is a Sabco, but with a twist. You spent your time working with hardware while I spent my time working with software. Believe me, I know what you mean when you say it's a learning experience! But it's all good when the beer is flowing.

Back