Cordon Brew Brewers Bucket - keep or sell?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I purchased someones whole stock of used brewing equipment. One of the items that I acquired is a Cordon Brew Brewers bucket: a heat resistant bucket, with a heating element, a thermostat, and a tap.

I fired it up today with some water and it works. It plugs into a large dryer type outlet. It is stained from wort and the element probably needs treating to get rid of the limescale build up.

I've been brewing for about 6 months now, but use a stainless steel pot on a gas stove top.

Is it worth keeping this bucket or trying to sell? Not sure how much an electronic boiler system would be worth. Perhaps I should be using this thing over the stove. Thoughts on pros and cons?

Thanks

I've never hear of it but I looked it up on google...Oh my god is this thing real?

brew%20bucket.jpg

A complete homebrewing system for all-grain brewers. The Cordon Brew brewers bucket is a heat resistent bucket, with a heating element, a thermostat and a tap. Mash, sparge(with sparging bag sold seperately)and boil(yes, this palstic is heat resistant and you can boil in it)all in one bucket. Requires a 220volt (Dryer type) receptacle to run. Made by Ritchie products of the UK.

A versatile device which acts as a mash tun as well as a 5 gallon boiler. This unit comes complete with its simmerstat, heating element and tap. As a mash tun it enables you to set and automatically maintain an accurate mash temperature throughout the mashing period. To prevent the grain accumulating around the element while mashing use a RITCHIE MASHING & SPARGING BAG. After mashing leave the grain in situ and open the tap to run off the malt liquor and at the same time sparge to rinse the remaining maltose and dextrin sugars from the grain. After sparging remove the grain (makes good compost!), rinse the boiler and then fit a BRUPAKS HOP STRAINER into the back of the tap. Return the malt liquor to the boiler and add the hops. The ELECTRIM BOILER can now be used to boil the entire 5 gallons of wort. To secure a good "hot break" (protein coagulation) a vigorous boil is recommended and the ELECTRIM BOILER is ideal for this purpose as all the boiling can be carried out in the open air (in dry weather) to save fogging up the house with steam! Add a teaspoon of IRISH MOSS for the last 15 minutes of the boil to coagulate the proteins. Leave the wort to settle for 15 minutes after turning off the heat and then run off the wort through the tap, the hops will now form a natural filter bed around the BRUPAKS HOP STRAINER to ensure you leave the proteins behind. The collected wort can now be force cooled using a BRUPAKS IMMERSION BEER WORT CHILLER which not only cools the wort to yeast pitching temperature in about 10 minutes but also produces a further protein dropout known as the "cold break".

Dude If it works, and you don't have anything like this, I sure as hell wouldn't get rid of it. It's an electric brewery in a bucket!!!!! Awesome.

That is what it looks like. one of he problems is i don't want to brew in my laundry room. Could invest in a long super duper extension cord.

Hoosier-Brewer said:
I think I saw one of those on the Aussie brew in a bag forum. Why not give it a try? Does it still hold and heat water?

It holds water and heat... as well as plastic bucket can. I guess the thermostat would kick the heating element on if the temp got below x temp. The thermostat is a 1 to 10 dial so I would need to learn how it works.

After learning that it worked, I was thinking I could use it to heat water to add after I do my steeping grain ( I do kits with extract and grains). This would save some time to get the temp up to 210 after topping up my pot. Instead of adding room temp water, I could boil water while I'm steeping.

DENBrewer said:
If you're interested in selling, I may be interested in buying for sous vide. I'm in Denver.

What's your offer. I'm flying from DIA Sunday - perhaps we could meet somewhere agreeable. I live north east of Boulder

I have one of these. I bought it at my LHBS, seems like 20 years ago. Tried boiling water in it and never used it again.

Paul07293 said:
I have one of these. I bought it at my LHBS, seems like 20 years ago. Tried boiling water in it and never used it again.

Mine looks 20 years old. I tried it out and it did boil water. I only boiled a small amount to see if it worked. Perhaps I could use it to heat water for after my steeping grains finish. Would save a bit of time.

Back