I want to make wine from Mountain Dew Throwback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm interesting, I have plenty of 1gal carlo rossi wine jugs laying around. I think I may play around with this

Edit: I have access to Coke, Diet Coke, 7up, Dr.Pepper, Minute Maid lemonade, and Barqs Root beer syrups. What should I do with said.syrups?

The diet may not ferment, I'm not sure what kind of sweetener they use, but some of the artificial sweeteners are unfermentable

I still have my Mountain Dew wine in the secondary under airlock. Not sure what to do with it. I need to sweeten it up a LOT.

My girlfriend refuses to taste it. I tasted it when I grabbed a gravity reading and it undrinkable in it's current state.

I think starting with syrup and water without the CO2 would be better, and even adding more sugar at the beginning would help things out.

There is not a lot of flavor once it's all done. Not worth it when you can use juice and get a way better end result. However, this recipe does make 4 liters of "wine" for about $5.

Why don't you just backsweeten with more syrup? You'd get the taste and the sweetness pretty quick!

I don't have access to syrup. I also think doing that would take away from the whole thing. Syrup isn't "readily available" to most people. I don't even know where I could buy it.

slowjerk said:
I don't have access to syrup. I also think doing that would take away from the whole thing. Syrup isn't "readily available" to most people. I don't even know where I could buy it.

I can buy it at costco business, the only thing is it's like a 2-2 1/2 gallon box of syrup. I'd send you some but where I work doesn't have mountain dew, closest thing is 7up. If you want to make a 7up version, then we can talk.

so when we were... uh... well let's just say younger.... my friends and I used to drink mountain dew mixed with thunderbird.

I imagine THIS is going to taste MUCH worse. So much so that i'm going to start a batch of it tomorrow.

I keep forgetting that Mountain Dew is an energy drink over there, here it's just a plain old lemonade. Pretty boring and no-one likes it.

I keep forgetting that Mountain Dew is an energy drink over there, here it's just a plain old lemonade. Pretty boring and no-one likes it.
not really an energy drink. just a soda.
one of the more caffeinated ones, but just soda.

Saturday I'm going to throw in some yeast with 7up syrup I acquired. It's pretty thick stuff, so I'm wondering what I should cut the OG down too. I'll also throw in some yeast nutrient and energizer to overcome the perservative problem.

I've just about got some Mello Yello syrup lined up to sweeten with. If it works I'm going to try to make a 5 gallon batch with more syrup.

slowjerk said:
I used a Rossi jug, 4 liters. Probably use a 1/4 cup of syrup to start, then more if it needs it.

Sounds good, I'll need to snatch up more syrup from work. What yeast did you use?

I didn't think anything would "work". By all means give it a try. I am in no way qualified to give advice on making wine. Maybe an old hand will pop in here and offer an informed opinion on what yeast would be best for Mountain Dew Wine.

Might be a better idea to use mountain dew throwback. Because it says on the can it has real sugar. But either way I'd like to know how it turns out.

Just found this thread, and first off I think your all nuts...... secondly, I will be picking up some dew this weekend to get this started. Mountain dew is the beverage I live by at work, so why not try an evening version I was thinking of making it like a sparkling cider or beer lol. I think I will start with a few 2LT bottles of the normal Dew, as I dont really like the throwback and I belive the corn sugar will ferment cleaner than cane sugar. Was thinking I would reduce the dew over low heat to get rid of some of that extra water and release the CO2 and hopefully break down the preservatives. May use some plain corn syrup to bring the O.G. up a bit. When fermented and cleared will prime with corn syrup and bottle in 12 oz bottles...... sounds horrible but to fun to pass up..:tank:

I had the same thought about the syrup, but only way I can find it is in a 3 gal bag for $80..... Have no way to use the rest will have to see if the local gas station would let me get a bag that is almost empty lol.

I had to comment on this... I have been thinking about making wine from Mountain Dew syrup. I go to a gas station that is here by my house and I asked them if I could buy a box of syrup. The cost for the box is just over $50 and it's a 5 gallon bag. The mix ratio is 5:1. Five parts water to one part syrup.

Has anyone made this successfully yet with a good flavor??

Wow... $50 for 25gal's of Dew.... that would be a hell of a deal if you had the Cornies to break down the rest of the syrup. You could use 5gal's for wine experiment and still have 4x 5gal cornies to carb-up and drink.

You would also have plenty to keep to backsweeten with and mask all those off flavours!

Update. Did a 1 gal batch with original dew instead of throwback a few months ago and is starting to clear now. Pulled a taste last week and is not good, thin no mouthfeel and no flavor. Think I will try this again as more of a malted beverage and see if I can get some flavor out of it.

It's going to taste watered down. Like kool-aid when you don't add sugar. Sugar brings out flavor. Now you should pasteurize, add the sugar back in, and force carbonate.

Sodium benzoate, as well as pottasium sorbate. Not sure about the sodium benzoate, but I know for a fact after boiling it for 10 minutes or so, most of the pottasium sorbate would have boiled out, leaving what is left brewable.

Just wanted to bring this one back to life... anyone have any luck with this recipe? Maybe backsweet/ carb with reg dew and bottle age for 6 months?

yeah the original batch I did turned out drinkable after a whole thing of wine conditioner. It's a weird lemon-lime, light taste with a lot of alcohol present.

As far as cost went it was about $10 for 4 liters. Not too bad. No plans to make it again but it was fun.

I'd like to hear how others' batches turned out.

OK... I will be ordering a box of Mountain Dew syrup this week so this thread will be alive and kickin by this weekend. I will start by saying I will be boiling the syrup to kill the preservatives then I will be rolling on with this project. I will be using Lalvin EC-1118 and yeast nutrient to help it along. The guy at the LHBS looked at me and laughed but said it should work. Since I'm getting a box of syrup, I will have plenty to back sweeten. Any other thoughts before I get going on with this concoction???

BTW, I will be taking pictures while I follow through with this project.

Not sure I understand how boiling will "kill" the preservatives. I thought they're non-volatile compounds, so for the most part so they won't boil off... will they break down in the heat? :drunk:

From what I have been reading it will be broke down and you should be able to skim most of it off of the top of the syrup after it cools down.

Ah you know what you're right. I was thinking of Citavo bag in box coffee concentrate, which I was researching to see if I could make coffee wine. Never got further than an idea though.

This is what I got just to try before I spend $55 on a box of Mt. Dew. I was with my wife at Wally World and they had this Soda Stream thing. I was looking at the different flavors and this lady came up to me and said that the Mountain Mist tastes just like Mt. Dew!! So I read that one single bottle of syrup makes 12 liters... Enough for one 3 gallon carboy!!! Tell me what you think, I have doubts about the Splenda in it but maybe it will break down when I boil the syrup?? Here is a couple of pics of the bottle.

20120803_104648.jpg

20120803_105026.jpg

Back