Melanoidin Flour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryE

Reaction score
I have gotten the opportunity to enter a small GF brewing competition with a friend. It is pretty interesting. Basically they are doing a "bake-off" between 2 equal batches: one is DME + clarex, and the other is Dry Sorghum Extract. It is really over my head, but it is a good opportunity for me to learn from my friend. He has a lot of non-GF brewing experience, and is getting back into it.

Along with the contest instructions, they included the following tip (the contest kit came with GF rice flour):

Melanoidin Flour: Malty or “Beer”y flavor is mostly ascribed to melanoidins, which are reactions between sugars & proteins when heated while in solution. This is easy to accomplish with the included flour. Simply mix sugar & flour along with some water to moisten and bake on a tray in the oven at some time & temp. Lower temp / longer time will give different flavors than higher temps & shorter times.

Is this a familiar technique? My experience is very limited, but I had not read about this anywhere. Any advice on how best to apply it, in terms of temp, time, and best GF flour to use?

Thanks,
Jerry

Looked it up, doesn't seem to be too common, but appears to have been done with flours (wheat and rye) before. Seems that it's a way to get a toasty flavor out of something (bread crust type). I mostly pull up examples about Munich and Vienna malts that are kilned. I guess that makes sense since toasted rice flour has a different scent and flavor than rice flour with sugar and water in a dough.

I'll keep digging around.

Many of us roast unmalted, GF grains to add color and flavor to our beers. It sounds like the same thing, only using flour instead of whole grains. I read on another board about a guy making gluten free buns to brew with.

Looked it up, doesn't seem to be too common, but appears to have been done with flours (wheat and rye) before. Seems that it's a way to get a toasty flavor out of something (bread crust type). I mostly pull up examples about Munich and Vienna malts that are kilned. I guess that makes sense since toasted rice flour has a different scent and flavor than rice flour with sugar and water in a dough.

I'll keep digging around.

Thanks!

Many of us roast unmalted, GF grains to add color and flavor to our beers. It sounds like the same thing, only using flour instead of whole grains. I read on another board about a guy making gluten free buns to brew with.
I was not sure if there was something special going on with the flour... maybe not.

That is a really interesting points about the GF buns. My wife has worked hard on a GF/Vegan bread. That may be the thing to try crumbling and toasting to add to the brew. It does have some vegetable oil... not sure if that would be an issue.

Thanks,
Jerry

I recall reading something, I think from Australia, where a guy was making 'biscuits' out of gluten free stuff, roasting them to a desired level, then crushing them up...

Behold! The power of google:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=33936

Interesting link. Thanks!
I guess it was offline this morning, but I was able to get to it now.

It definitely confirmed my main concern, that the fineness of the flour would be a pain in the butt.

Has anybody here actually tried toasting and using some kind of GF Bread/cracker/biscuit in a recipe? I am guessing that would need to be strained, but it would not be as difficult as flour.

Thanks for posting the link. That's is the one I was thinking about.

perhaps using a grain bag would be a good enough strainer.

and if there is any trub that gets through the bag wouldn't that settle during primary and secondary fermentation?

perhaps using a grain bag would be a good enough strainer.

and if there is any trub that gets through the bag wouldn't that settle during primary and secondary fermentation?

Along with my friend, today we brewed the 2 5-gal batches. For the specialty grains we used buckwheat, amaranth, and rice flour, toasted to various degrees. We mashed these with amylase, and seemed to get some good conversion, in addition to flavor and color. I will post the full recipes when I get a chance, particularly if they work out well.

All in all, I think they turned out great, and I am looking forward to the end product. As predicted though, the flour was difficult to remove. We did a lot of time consuming straining, and plenty still made it in. We'll see how much of it settles out in the primary.

I still plan to try the toasted GF breadcrumbs in the near future. I think that might work out better.

Is Clare. The stuff that 'deglutens' beer? if it is the same stuff I'm thinking about, I personally would mess with the stuff. I feel 'deglutened' beer is not the same as beer made from gluten free ingredients.

Is Clare. The stuff that 'deglutens' beer? if it is the same stuff I'm thinking about, I personally would mess with the stuff. I feel 'deglutened' beer is not the same as beer made from gluten free ingredients.

Yes, it is supposed to remove *most* of the gluten. Doing the batch with DME+Clarex is part of the competition rules, and they are going to check the results with a lab analysis.

I will be very interested to see how well clarex works, and the direct taste comparison between malt and sorghum, as well. I am with you, though, and I do not plan to switch, whatever the lab results say.

Back