Why use a Magnetic Head Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmoor

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the process of designing a 2-3bbl brewing system. I am working on a parts list and price sheet for my partner. I am having a hard time deciding what pumps I should be looking at.

I was hoping to use 3/4 pipe throughout the system. Most of the magnetic head pumps have 1/2 on both in/out and some have a combination.

I found a centrifugal pump that has the environmental specs I am looking for but it seems as though it's impeller is directly connected to the motor shaft.

What should I be concerned with if I went with a pump such as this? Would I just be replacing seals more often or would I have other problems I can not think of? Here is the model I am looking at.

Dayton SM-909-NTW-18 Circulator Pump

http://www.drillspot.com/products/71943/Dayton_SM-909-NTW-18_Circulator_Pump

36609_300.png

For that size system you should be looking at 1 1/2" centrifugal, sanitary pumps.

Check out Dairy Engineering http://www.dairyengineering.com/

They deal in all kinds of new and used sanitary pumps, fittings and tankage.

Probably the best place in Colorado for anything stainless.

I believe the reason people use a magnetic drive is so that they can clean them more easily and because they are more likely to be made with food grade materials?

Thanks wayne,

I am trying to build out everything myself. We have a limited budget to get this project off the ground. I am trying to build the system for under 10k. The rest of our money needs to be spent on all the other things that will be needed. (rent, ingredients, Insurance, etc)

We have the ability and tools to fabricate most of what we need. If the project takes off and we can prove to investors that the business will work, we will be looking for a new space and larger commercially made system. We just want to take things slow.

On another note. I want to stop by and see that system of yours one of these days when i am down in that neck of the woods.

The reason for the magnetic head pump that the output can easily be restricted by a valve. The magnetic pump will simply slip when the output is restricted but a normal pump will probably burn up. This is very handy when fly sparging and you are trying to match flows.

The reason for the magnetic head pump that the output can easily be restricted by a valve. The magnetic pump will simply slip when the output is restricted but a normal pump will probably burn up. This is very handy when fly sparging and you are trying to match flows.

Any centrifugal pump can have it's outlet restricted and it won't hurt it. Sanitary centrifugal pumps are used in most pro-brewery applications. The main reason mag pumps are used in home brewing rigs are: "Shaft-drive pumps require periodic maintenance of their seals. If the seals should start to fail, air can be sucked into the pump, aerating the hot wort or infecting the cool wort. Neither of these situations is desirable. Magnetically coupled pumps eliminate these worries." Brewing Techniques.

A sanitary rated centrifugal pump does cost quite a bit. when producing a product for general consumption it is best to use only materials that are food grade.

Brewmoor,

Drop me a PM next time you come down to the flatlands. I'd be honored to show you my rig. Maybe we could visit the Bull & Bush brewpub. Their system is cobbled together from various bits of old dairy equipment.

I was fortunate enough to only brew on commercial made gear.

Not to sidetrack, but if you are selling brew, I hope you have looked into the necessary licensing. It can be quite expensive depending on where you are.

Another option is a peristaltic pump. It uses friction to 'squeeze' the liquid through the tubing. The liquid never comes in contact with the pump. Some of the benefits are:
1) Can handle any temperature that the tubing can handle.
2) Sanitizing/cleaning is as easy as cleaning the tubing
3) Can be run dry
4) Can be run with high viscosity and/or 'chunky' liquids (such as a mash)
5) Flow rate can be very precisely controlled.

The main disadvantages is that they can be expensive (unless you find something suitable on ebay) and that they cannot be restricted. Changing flow rate is accomplished by changing the speed of the pump.

We were lucky enough to pick up a three head (three pumps that connect to one motor) unit that can handle 3/8" ID silicone tubing. One pump can move 2.1 GPM at 650 RPM (the max rating). We are planning on using one head for light duty applications, two heads for fly sparging, and all three heads (6 GPM) for moving bulk liquids such as draining the BK to the fermentor.

Not to sidetrack, but if you are selling brew, I hope you have looked into the necessary licensing. It can be quite expensive depending on where you are.

I am fully aware of the legal parts of what we are doing....Well ok no I don't. My roomate (A Lawyer) does. He is taking care of all the paperwork side of the business. I am no good at that stuff. I am not a pencil pusher. He is very good at this kind of thing. I know the basics but I do not understand the legal language like he does.

ajwillys: I have looked a little bit at peristaltic pumps. I would consider using one if I could find the right deal.

Latest posts

Back