Flavorings site

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaronIV

Reaction score
So on my quest to find butter rum extract i came across a site that has a ton of different flavorings that could be used in cider making. Some of the flavorings have oil in them and are insoluble in water (click "item details" to check), but a good number of them are alcohol based and should work well. I just put in my order from them today, so i cant vouch for the quality, but according to the site the flavorings are 3-4 times stronger than normal extracts.

I thought that other homebrewers would like to check it out, and possibly save the trouble of brewing with actual fruit.

Once i recieve my order i'll comment back in this thread as to the quality of the flavors. (i ordered caramel, buttered rum, and raspberry)

Here is the site: https://www.lorannoils.com/c-6-super-strength-flavors-candy-oils.aspx

Wow, alcohol based chocolate flavor. I like that idea better than using cocoa powder. I will keep that in mind if I ever do a chocolate porter or something like that.

ooh, chocolate hazelnut too, and pumpkin, although I can't tell if the pumpkin is water (beer) soluble.

got these in the mail today. The butter rum flavor smelled up my entire kitchen when i got a tiny little drop on my finger. The raspberry wasn't quite as potent, but has the smell of a sweeter, but not candy like raspberry smell. The caramel... i opened up first and stuck my nose right up to the bottle... damn near knocked me on my a$$. These are some really strong flavorings! I have a feeling I will be ordering from them again to make some experimental batches in the near future.

You can also make your own flavor extracts, if you're so inclined. It won't be super-concentrated like this, but it does allow for easy experimenting - you can even make a 5-gallon batch of normal, "neutral" Apelfwein, and experiment bottle-by-bottle once they've conditioned, right before drinking. It's fun!
All you need is a resealable bottle - I use Mickey's grenades, http://www.barefootproximity.com/images/home/mickeys.jpg - and rum/vodka, or even better, Everclear/Grain alcohol. Fill the bottle about halfway with what you want (so far I've only tried spices), and then add the rest vodka/Everclear. I'm interested in trying this soon with baker's chocolate, coffee beans, bananas and perhaps even powered peanut butter. I'll let you know how it goes!

Back