Guinness clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESROHDE

Reaction score
I'm looking for a really good Guiness clone recipe. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I made JZs dry Irish stout recipe out of 'brewing classic styles' and I think it was better then guiness. I did not grind the roasted barley like it said too. It tasted similar, but with a lot more flavor. I enjoyed the first batch so much I made another today.

I made JZs dry Irish stout recipe out of 'brewing classic styles' and I think it was better then guiness. I did not grind the roasted barley like it said too. It tasted similar, but with a lot more flavor. I enjoyed the first batch so much I made another today.

I agree that Jamil's recipe is excellent, but it's more like Murphy's than Guinness -- a lot less sour than the latter.

Hi,
Here's the personal recipe I use when I want something like Guinness.

Brad

I used this recipe for the stout i will be bottling this afternoon. This is my second AG brew and I can't vouch for the finished product, but from the taste when making my FG reading, it should be a winner. I know that Guinness adds a small amount of soured beer to get that distinctive taste. I have had thoughts of experimenting with that at some point. While i do love Guinness, I am big fan of dry Irish Stouts in general.

PS Brad,
This tread reminded me that it was time to purchase a registration key for BeerSmith. It has been absolutely critical in my successful transition to all-grain. Slainte!

29.jpg

Size: 5.14 gal
Efficiency: 70.0%
Attenuation: 79.0%
Calories: 135.27 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.041 (1.036 - 1.050)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.009 (1.007 - 1.011)
|==============#=================|
Color: 29.12 (25.0 - 40.0)
|============#===================|
Alcohol: 4.24% (4.0% - 5.0%)
|===========#====================|
Bitterness: 38.0 (30.0 - 45.0)
|================#===============|

Ingredients:
6.0 lb English 2-row Pale
1.75 lb Barley Flaked
13.0 oz Roast Barley
2.0 oz Acidulated Malt
1.85 oz Goldings (4.7%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 ea White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.6b[/size]

This gets great reviews from folks that are fans of Vitamin G....the touch of acid malt and WLP007 are keys IMHO. Loads of flavor and has become my house brew.

Hi,
Here's the personal recipe I use when I want something like Guinness.

Also here's a nice little piece I put together on brewing Irish Stouts for the last St Patty's day.

Cheers,
Brad

one of the recipes says to steep the grains for 30 to 60 min. At what point in the process is this done? And do I boil the malt with the hops or pour the hop water over the malt extract?

steeping means to put the grain in a muslin mesh bag and put them in the water to soak while it is heating up to about 150 then hold it there for the 30 min steep time remove , rinse, then continue with boiling the wort. do not boil grains as you'll extract harsh tannins from the grain husk which will give your beer an astringent taste(pucker factor).:mug:

A good resource for Clone recipes is BYO magazine's "150 Clone Brews" issue. I know my lhbs keeps it in stock. Unfortunately the recipe is not online...

But this is an interesting one, it takes into consideration the Guiness Twang...The mix of fresh and sour beers....

ericsbeerpage.com said:
http://ericsbeerpage.com/Beer/Recipe/guin.html

Ingredients:
9 lbs Brit pale ale
1 lb flaked barley
18 oz roast barley
12 oz carapils
1.5 oz No. Brewer hops (60 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops (60 min)

First, get the "tang" the way Guinness does: Sour about 24 oz (2 bottles) of stout (pref. Guinness) by leaving it out in a bowl a week or more & then freezing it.
While brewing, thaw the sour stout & heat it to 180-190 F for 20 min.
Mash-in at 155F, hold for 1 hour, boil 1 hour & 15 minutes.
At end boil, add the sour stout.
At 70F, pitch 2 packs of Wyeast #1084.
A month or so of cold lagering (<40F) after bottling or kegging will help.
A certified beer judge could not tell this from bottled Guinness.

bump!

I can assume that people were happy with the last-posted recipe?
Still searching for a Guinness clone and will be brewing one soon and then will report back. I may go with this last one, because...until one tries and taste-tests, who knows!

Already have my soured Guinness, so good to go!

-J

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have more info on which issue has the "150 Clone Brews" article? I would like to order the issue.

Are you referring to the actual MAGAZINE itself? I bought the issue which is all clones. Got it from the website, missed it in my local store.

Which issue was that one? Looking for it online now... Might just get their recipe book, to go along with the 200 clone recipe book I picked up earlier... :D

Yes, I searched on the website using the parameter "150 Clone Brews" and it didn't pop any results. I was curious if someone knew the issue number, or the month and year. Thanks.

Yes, I searched on the website using the parameter "150 Clone Brews" and it didn't pop any results. I was curious if someone knew the issue number, or the month and year. Thanks.

http://***********/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=94&category_id=16

http://***********/store?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=94&category_id=16

Found the 250 recipe book... :D I've seen other clone recipes out there too (for Guinness versions)... Might have to make it a mission to find the recipe that matches the one I like the best... Of course, that will require a nitrogen setup, so it might need to wait a little while...

Back