Lagering for the first time.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave the Brewer

Reaction score
I'm going to brew an American light lager this weekend. I know lagers need to ferment longer and at cooler temperatures. About how long does it need to ferment, and around what temperatures? I've read lager yeast can take temperatures near freezing, and best to be below 55 degrees. Do any of you have any recommendations? My girlfriend bought me a keg for our anniversary, and I want to use it for my lager. I still have to order a regulator and Co2 tank and I'm broke until payday, so I have to time to wait for it to ferment.

You want to ferment lagers around 50 degrees. Lagering can be done at close to freezing but that is after the fermentation is complete.

GT

You should figure about 2 weeks to ferment, diacteyl rest for 2 days then slowly bring it down to lagering temp for a month or more.

Ferment between 50-55°F. Any higher than that, and you risk off-flavors. Any lower than that, and you risk your yeast flocculating and going night-night. That means that you may need to raise your ambient temperature as the initial strong fermentation fades.

TL

Back