Question about beer types/tastes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc5md

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I'm getting into homebrewing now, I've realized I don't really know what many types of beer taste like. I see lots of recipe kits and read the descriptions, but don't really know what they really mean. AND, if I make a specific type, I don't really know whether I've done well or not.
So, What I'm thinking I need to do is some 'research' (some might call it indulging).
Does anyone have a list of commercially available craft brews that would be good examples of various styles? The local Wegman's has lots of options.
Or is there some other way I should go about this?
Or, am I just nuts?! LOL
Thanks!

If you find some commercial beers you like you can also search to see if someone has a clone recipe - lots of those on this forum and elsewhere. Then you have an idea what your brew should taste like if done well.
:mug:

There's no getting out of doing your "research." Man up and start drinkin' those commercial beers!

If you have a bar that offers "flights" of beers, that is a really fast way to do side-by-side comparisons. Better yet - any beerfests in your area?

Some of those examples are pretty drastic. Take Blue Moon and Hoegaardan as an example. I've had both of those, and they taste completely different from one another. I know they shouldn't taste identical, but if you told me they were completely different beers, I'd believe you.

Don't get me wrong, the link is a great starting point (thanks for posting it btw), but I still feel like I'm "brewing blind" and that's what worries me as a noob in this hobby. A lot of those beers I've never had before and/or just not available in my area. But what do you do if there is a style you're curious about, but have no way to compare it to a brand you're familiar with, or have no comparisons at all?

Dude, you need to chill out and grab a beer. :)

You aren't going to learn everything in a day, month, or even year. Start tasting styles and building your knowledge base. If you learn everything about the beer within 100 miles of you, you can start ordering online or take a day trip to your nearest "real" city.

^^^ I know, I know. lol.

Maybe I should hit up the nearest package store and see if they can let me buy a "sampler sixer" or something. I am a frequent customer, so who knows.

I need a road trip bad.

I like beeradvocate.com too. You can research the style and then they have tons I styles ranked by beers drinkers. Click on the "beers" tab and then the "styles" tab and pick something that looks interesting. Then read reviews and see rankings.

For a long time I would invite people over once or twice a month to play boards games and everyone would bring a new beer. With a couple people pooling their six packs and bombers we tried a ton of beers (100+/year). Having a log (or in my case app) to keep track of tasting notes/ratings also let me know what styles I wanted to make batches of.

A while back I asked the wife to go to the local beverage warehouse and purchase the most obscure beer label she could find. She sure delivered! Coney island blockhead is what she got. Since then she surprises me with something different every time. So far her track record is pretty darn good!! She does mot drink beer And she has no idea whatsoever when you mention beer styles! Moral of the story? Start looking for the obscure and never buy the same style. Find a place that has a HUGE selection from all over and spend a lot of time there. Over time you will find some styles that you like.

Now that you are starting this hobby you can see beer a bit differently. The initial taste, mouthfeel, sweetness, malt, bitterness, aroma are some of the things to notice. Take notes on paper or in your phone. You will notice patterns toward light or dark beer, heavy on hops & bitter or fruity from Belgian yeast. Your homebrew doesn't have to taste just like a commercial beer, it just needs to be your style and something you think is good to drink. Have fun, relax and experiment. Also read on here a lot. Search your question & you'll likely find multiple answers on here but if not, ask and the knowledgable crew that's here all the time will help. Good luck & have fun!

Back