blichmann engineering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not used those but I firmly believe you get what you pay for. I own some Blichmann products (Beergun, Hoprocket) and just ordered and waiting for it to arrive the top tier system with two kettles, the hopblocker, sparge arm, false bottom, plate chiller, thrumoter

I did a tone of research and found very little negative about it. Mostly people complain about price. Everyone to a tee says they are built great, work great and will last a lifetime. Spend a little more and buy it once.

the quality is good. but they charge a premium for it. personally, i have yet to see any blichman product that i felt was worth its enormous pricetag. other people (perhapse with money to burn or with less mechanical ability) only buy blichman. only you can decide if its worth it.

if you are looking for a quality product and arent too concerned how much it costs, go for it.

That's a hard question to answer for another person.

That's like asking if a Lexus is worth it, vs. a Hyundai. They both have their proponents, and the Hyundai owners would say the Lexus is overpriced. Or, if a Viking range would be better than Whirlpool. A professional chef might even think the Viking range wasn't the best, but it'd be overkill for someone like me.

It's the same with Blichmann products- they are the Rolls Royce of brewing. Can you get by without a Blichmann conical? Of course. But Blichmann's products are well made, durable, and easy to use.

I do not disagree with anything above. Here is my only other thought process. Homebrewing has a sub culture the DYI is king. People will always say I can build it for X and Blichmann is over piced. I am not a DYI person for many reasons I don't enjoy it, I am not good at it and I would rather spend my time brewing then building. This is for me alone and no one else. What I will say buying the Top Tier system I am not going to spend much more then having a system built for me. Could I have built it for less the anwser is simple for me no I could not have. Can you maybe. Blichmann is an option for those who want out of the box items that will work well and last.

Again this is my opinion for me.

I really like my Blichmann 14.5 gallon fermentor with the tri-clamp fittings. The clean-up and setup are super easy and the setup makes it so easy to dump the trub, dump the yeast and transfer the beer to kegs under pressure. My only complaint is that I also purchased the casters and with them attached I cannot fit the fermentor in my fermentation chamber (upright freezer). I would definitely buy it again and wish I had a 2nd one and for that matter a 3rd one.

I used to sell their line and can say that Blichmann makes a quality product, but their prices are high. I suspect because you are paying for low volume manufacturing as opposed to someone like Polar Ware who processes a massive amount of stainless steel into products and can pass their savings on to you.

Even with their high prices I suggest buying Blichmann's fermenters but I believe that Polar Ware is a better return for your money for brew pots.

Used the 7 gal for about a year (not the tri-clamp version).
Pros:
It works.
No leak problems with the weldless fittings.
Very sturdy.

Cons:
Ball valves are a pain to keep clean, at least for me.
Heavy and awkward trying to clean at the sink.
Can't see inside to watch what is going on.

Once I got used to it, easy to assemble, disassemble, clean.
But time consuming compared to a carboy.

Sold it, got better bottles.
Very happy now.

I do 5 gal batches.
But if I thought I would mostly do 10 gal batches,
I might get the 14 gal blichmann with tri-clamps and figure
out how to do some kind of CIP.

But for the occasional 10 gal batch, two better bottles seem like a good fit for me.

Back