Bourbon porter suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomismydad

Reaction score
I'm a partial masher so high gravity beers are harder for me to brew, but I've been wanting to make something I can add Bourbon and Oak too. I'm looking at doing a porter somewhere around 1.065-1.075. Is that too light for bourbon/oak aging? Will the oak and bourbon overpower?

I was looking at using Jamil's robust porter recipe as a base. Any other good base recipe suggestions?

You could maybe use Denny's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter recipe and shrink it down a bit. Just search for it on here, it's posted all over the place.

The nice thing about using bourbon and oak as a homebrewer is that you can control the impact by leaving the beer on the oak for a shorter/longer period of time depending on how oaky you want it. I do a 1.075 bourbon oak porter that I leave on oak cubes that have soaked in bourbon (for about 3 weeks) for 3 weeks up to a month. I start tasting after 3 weeks and bottle after I like where it is at.

I just recently made the Pecan Porter extract kit from Austin & used that wild turkey honey bourbon with the oak chips.. It came out really good but the bourbon overpowers the pecan. I used like 8oz to soak the chips then added it all to secondary for a couple weeks. Tastes great.

Back