pitching starter @ high krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope... that is an issue that is debated as to the efficacy of doing it that way versus allowing it to ferment out. But you certainly won't have any ill effects. I often do it that way myself.

If at high krausen I'd toss the whole flask, since there are a lot of active yeast cells in suspension. If you want to decant, you should chill it in the fridge for several hours first.

thanks for reply. my stirbar is in one of my fermenters right now and I am doing the periodic shaking. I made the starter last nite and plan to brew manana. I usually stir plate for 24 hours then chill the last evening before removing from frig on brew day. But you are right, there is still a bunch of yeasties in suspension, I may just toss the entire contents tomorrow.

Cheers and happy NY.

I think that's the best way as long as it's not a huge starter. That is what Jamil says he does.

My last batch I used the same wort. I cooled it down to 60, pulled about 750ml and pitch WLP320 into it. A few hours later I pitched the starter (at low krausen.) I wanted to keep the pitch rate fairly low but also wanted to pitch active yeast. It was going strong in less than eight hours.

Back