Wyeast 2565

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimirie

Reaction score
So I brewed an attempt at cloning Optimator yesterday using 2565 as a substitute for a lager yeast. I know it won't be perfect, but I think it should be pretty good.

I started a 2 liter starter on Friday and had the yeast going well. I pitched the yeast into my 5.5 gallon last night. I pitched at about 75 while placing the carboy into icy water (temp at about 50). When I woke up this morning the "ice bath" was hovering about 59, which is what I was planning.

I've never used this yeast before. Based on feedback here and my starter, I expected quick activity and violent fermentation. 24 hours post-pitch, I still don't have krausen activity.

I know that fermenting cold will slow fermentation and I'm fine with that. How long should I wait for krausen before I start playing with this batch? I've never fermented an ale yeast so cold before so I've never flirted with yeast shocking before. Thoughts?

I brew with 2565 kolsh. I always ferment in the basement at about 65F and have always had good results. Usually blows off on me. Sometimes it'll ferm for 3-4 days before it blows off (weird). But, I always have activity in the fermenter within 12-18 hours after pitching. This is just my opinion, but, I think you might have better results if you cool the wort to your desired pitching temp before pitching the yeast. I would also cold crash the yeast in the fridge the night before. Pitching at 75 and cooling to 59 may have shocked your yeast a bit. I imagine things will pick up once the yeast adjust. If you still don't see any activity in anohter 24 hours, I would try warming things up a bit. My 2 cents anyway.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think you're right about the temp shock. I had always assumed (incorrectly I know suppose) that to temp shock and make dormant yeast, you had to drop the temp below the yeast's appropriate temp range. Going forward, I will not operate under that assumption.

Fortunately, things have turned around. My ice bath is holding firm at 62 and krausen has formed and my airlock is bubbling away. Still not a crazy ferment, but slow and steady!

If I did put some yeast to sleep with the temp change, is it safe to assume that some will "wake up" before others and that at this moment I'm not playing with a full cell count? I'm wondering if off-flavors are possible from stressed yeast? I'm not worried, but as I've never used this yeast before, I'd like to be able to ID flavors in the final product that are characteristics vs hiccups.

If you pitched enough yeast from the get go, I think you will be just fine. I wouldn't worry about off flavors. Also, you will probably notice that the air lock will continue to bubble very slowy after the main fermentation event had subsided. Mine do this. My regular ale strains will ferm nicely for 2-3 days and then nothing. My Kolsh's sometimes continue to bubble (very slowly mind you) for up to two weeks. I think this is because the Kolsh yeast doesn't settle out very easily and the beer is always a bit cloudy. Just par for the style I guess.

Back