stupid ferm question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
So I know this is a dumb question, but I want to make sure before I take further action.

I know that lack of bubbler activity doesn't mean lack of active fermentation, but does the opposite apply? If there is bubbler activity, does that always mean active fermentation?

I ask because I was at 1009 at the time of racking a weekago, and while the bubbler activity has been minimal, its still going. I'm worried now that this ipa is going to be way too dry! Wondering if I should maybe crash it to halt fermentation at this point.

Anyway, sorry for the dumb question. Thanks for the info!

Temperature increase, decrease barometric pressure, who knows what else, take another reading.

I had the same thing happen a few months ago. I just took 3 consecutive gravity readings.....with a scale because I thought my hydro was broken. Then cold crashed 2 days for good measure. I had good carb about 8 days later, so I imagine pretty close to bottle bombs.

I know that lack of bubbler activity doesn't mean lack of active fermentation, but does the opposite apply? If there is bubbler activity, does that always mean active fermentation?

I ask because I was at 1009 at the time of racking a weekago, and while the bubbler activity has been minimal, its still going.
Let it sit another week, then take another reading. What was the OG? And how long has it been fermenting?

I'm worried now that this ipa is going to be way too dry!
I remember back when I was in college, we would have poker nights, and all chip in for pizza and beer, and someone would go out and get a couple cases, and sometimes they would come back with some worthless pissant of a beer, that wasn't worth drinking, and we would drink it anyway, and have a good time anyway. Your beer will be way much more better than that, even if it is too dry.
:mug:

Temperature increase, decrease barometric pressure, who knows what else, take another reading.

+1

Also, all bubbling means is Co2 is escaping the airlock, it doesn't necessarily mean the yeast is still fermenting. The yeast could be finished and Co2 could still be working it's way out of the airlock.

3-4 weeks in the fermentor and you should be fine!

I used a belgian yeast for the first time and two weeks in the fermentor I still am seeing activity, of course with my luck I got some yucky stuff in my beer from the blowoff tube I used! lol

If you are still seeing activity in the airlock I would not do anything but wait a week or so longer then check gravity!

Just my opinion, humbly given of course!

Don't worry about it.

I had a belgian yeast on a belgian beer stay bubbling for a month and a half once. It was a high alcohol beer. It came out well. Fermentation times depend on sugar content/temperature/oxygen levels in the wort etc.
Don't worry about it.

When it slows up I'd transfer it into a secondary for like a week. Then when it stops bubbling check the gravity. If it's right bottle it or keg it whatever. Homebrews The Best!!
Best of Luck,
Virginia Wolf

Latest posts

Back