Yeast mate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluefoxicy

Reaction score
Yeast have an a- and alpha-type cell and emit two different types of pheramones, which attract the two types of cells to each other. Then they contact and mate.

.... o.o;; And here I thought single-celled microorganisms simply split in two, like graboids.

I think they're one of the species that can do both.
If you only want them to reproduce asexually, stop playing Barry around your carboys.

Well, ew, that's kind of disturbing. :p

Uh...if you find the concept of yeast mating disturbing, then don't even contemplate what the production of Etoh and Co2, is equal to in the human life cycle....:D

:off: Years ago, here at the medschool I had to produce an educational film on the sex life of the zebra mussel....Not exactly my kinda making whoopy if you ask me... Basically the male zebra mussel "pops his cork" into the water at the same time the woman shoots out a bunch of eggs into the water...With any luck the two clouds intersect and the eggs get fertalised as they fall to the bottom of the lake....No contact at all.

At least the Yeasties get to actually do the nasty.

BTW, the researcher I was making the film with was trying to break the mating cycle of the zebra mussel by trying to introduce something which would basically make the potential father shoot blanks, or at least miss wildly. One of the substances he was working with was a derivitive of LSD.:fro:

Yeast can do both, mating introduces genetic variability and allows yeast to evolve. Budding is asexual and creates daughter cells that are identical to the mother cell genetically. Yeast resultant from budding have one copy of the genome (1n) and are haploid. Post mating, yeast are diploid and have two copies of the genome (2n) which can do recombination and leads to genetic diversity. When times get rough, it can split back to haploid cells. To make things more interesting, a-type haploid yeast can switch to alpha-type and vice-versa!

Schizosaccromyces cerevisiae, non-brewing yeast are known as fission yeast, and reproduce by splitting in two, yes, different than brewing yeast which is known as budding yeast.

Yes, I got turned down at a job at a winery for not having enough yeast experience, and the person that got hired does not brew, and has never touched yeast...gotta love networking!

This bud's for you! Sorry :(. ColoradoXJ13 is correct. Fermentation is mostly G-rated. Maybe at the end there may be some sex going on as the nutrients get depleted. You know, one last fling before you die.

Latest posts

Back