Copper Manifold Cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
OK, So I have been constructing my coper manifold for a 70qt cooler, and I know that some people solder some parts, and others dont, here is my question.

Can I get away with soldering the whole thing except the part that connects to the drain (so I can remove it frome the cooler)?

I would be able to soak it in a cleaning solution, and blow water through it. Does anyone see a problem with doing this?
My main reason for wanting to solder most of it, is becasue while dry fitting, many of the connections are loose, and I am worried about them coming apart during a mash, possibly while stirrng.

So what say you, all knowing HBT world??

:mug:

i would solder the loose joints but leave as much not soldered as possible. Sometimes grains can get stuck in there and it is nice to be able to pass a brush thru the manifold to clean.

I fully soldered mine, I run hot water through it right after the tun is cleaned out and I've not had a problem. I drilled very small holes instead of using slots however so I get far less grain matter into the pipes.

Here is mine.

55991080-MVC-591F.JPG

I solderd the 90's to the center piece on the right end. I also solderd the 90's to short pieces on the other (valve end). So the two long pipes and the "T" by the valve are lose fitting.
I have done about 15 or 16 brews with this and one time I had it come apart. What a mess.
So I crimped the 90's to hold tighter to the pipes and I have not had any more problems.
The long pipes come out to make cleaning eaiser. The "T" is lose so I can rotate the whole thing up and then pull it out, or put it in.

If you want to use loose fittings, just use some vinyl tubing over the connections. You can still cut slots in it, but you will retain more stability in keeping the parts together.

I drilled holes through the unsoldered parts and hold them together with presto pins. Pull the pins and the parts come away.

bradsul said:
I fully soldered mine, I run hot water through it right after the tun is cleaned out and I've not had a problem. I drilled very small holes instead of using slots however so I get far less grain matter into the pipes.

what size holes did you drill?

I have run 5, 5gal batches through mine. I cut slots with a dremel and get grains inside that are stuck. I soldered only a couple of pieces where T and a 45 then the tube that goes to the outside of the cooler. The rest I like to disassemble and clean...not that you couldn't get it clean eventually if it was soldered. I just like to be able to get in there with a cleaning brush.

To make the joints tighter, I used a ratchet extension that fit in the pipe and very, very ,very carefully used a pipe clamp to apply pressure to expand th ends for a tight fit. It worked well.

If I had to build another one I would probably use a very small drill bit instead of cutting slots, but I'd still leave the majority of it unsoldered.

edited because of intoxication and incoherent sentances.

Latest posts

Back