Kombucha Hard Tea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingogames

Reaction score
I haven't seen this anywhere else online, but I tried this today since it is snowing outside. I have been making Kombucha for a while now, and I wanted to make it into a hard tea. Here's what I did for a 1 gal batch:

1 gal for my homemade Kombucha (aged about 7-10 days)- I think, can't remember exactly when I started this batch, I use a continuous brew system, so it's hard to tell.

3.5 oz. grated ginger- grated with a microplane

I boiled the Kombucha and ginger (well, simmered) for 15 min to kill any wild yeast, bacteria or other nasties in it. I would like some feedback as to whether this was necessary. I just didn't want to F- with the alcohol fermentation.

After boiling, I added 2 cups dark brown sugar & let cool in the primary until suitable for pitching yeast. While cooling, I put yeast (Nottingham) in 1/2 cu. warm water with 1/2 tsp. of yeast nutrient in a seperate container to "bloom."

Once cool, I added in the yeast mixture to the kombucha, ginger, sugar "wort."

I loaned my hydrometer to my dad, so I didn't get the OG, but based on other recipes for different stuff, this should come out somwhere in the 7% ABV range. (Comments/Feedback)

Stirred to combine/further hydrate/airate. Put lid on & airlock.

Here's the plan...

Will let it ferment 14 days, then I'll check it. If no activity, will rack to a carboy. I'm going to try it, and if not sweet enough, will want to add some sweetner to the secondary (reccommendations, tips please, this is my first time doing anything like this)

I'm thinking 30 days in the secondary, with airlock.

Then bottle with priming sugar. If cloudy, I will clear with gelatin. How long should I let it sit in the bottle? I'm thinking 2 weeks min.

Like I said, this is my first time doing anything like this, so please comment on anything and everything. This forum has been an invaluable help to me. Note: I have (am) celiac, so I am looking for a unique beer replacement, and I love Kombucha, so I thought this would be a cool experiment. What do you think?

kingogames said:
I haven't seen this anywhere else online, but I tried this today since it is snowing outside. I have been making Kombucha for a while now, and I wanted to make it into a hard tea. Here's what I did for a 1 gal batch:

1 gal for my homemade Kombucha (aged about 7-10 days)- I think, can't remember exactly when I started this batch, I use a continuous brew system, so it's hard to tell.

3.5 oz. grated ginger- grated with a microplane

I boiled the Kombucha and ginger (well, simmered) for 15 min to kill any wild yeast, bacteria or other nasties in it. I would like some feedback as to whether this was necessary. I just didn't want to F- with the alcohol fermentation.

After boiling, I added 2 cups dark brown sugar & let cool in the primary until suitable for pitching yeast. While cooling, I put yeast (Nottingham) in 1/2 cu. warm water with 1/2 tsp. of yeast nutrient in a seperate container to "bloom."

Once cool, I added in the yeast mixture to the kombucha, ginger, sugar "wort."

I loaned my hydrometer to my dad, so I didn't get the OG, but based on other recipes for different stuff, this should come out somwhere in the 7% ABV range. (Comments/Feedback)

Stirred to combine/further hydrate/airate. Put lid on & airlock.

Here's the plan...

Will let it ferment 14 days, then I'll check it. If no activity, will rack to a carboy. I'm going to try it, and if not sweet enough, will want to add some sweetner to the secondary (reccommendations, tips please, this is my first time doing anything like this)

I'm thinking 30 days in the secondary, with airlock.

Then bottle with priming sugar. If cloudy, I will clear with gelatin. How long should I let it sit in the bottle? I'm thinking 2 weeks min.

Like I said, this is my first time doing anything like this, so please comment on anything and everything. This forum has been an invaluable help to me. Note: I have (am) celiac, so I am looking for a unique beer replacement, and I love Kombucha, so I thought this would be a cool experiment. What do you think?

Sounds great, bet its going to taste even better!

Thinking out loud here . . . In a SCOBY there is a battle between the yeast and the bacteria. Yeast eat the sugar and produce CO2 then consumed by the bacteria to transform the sugars into acids in an aerobic process. In an anaerobic process the yeast transform oxygen and sugars into CO2 and either die or go dormant. If I were inventing this process, I would try choking out the yeast in an anaerobic process while allowing the CO2 to escape via an airlock, separately boiling/cooling the ginger and DME, mixing the KT to the brew, oxygenating in carboy, adding yeast. It would be a battle of yeast here, and the process might fail horribly, but this way you leave the beneficial acids in tact.

So I'm curious to know how it comes out in the manner you describe. If it works I'd love to see a chemical analysis to see which of the acids survived. If you don't have the benefit of the raw KT I would wonder if it's a good process since you can get sour using Brettanomyces and without getting the vinegar acids.

Please keep us posted.

So you simply want a social wine/beer that tastes like kombucha? All you really need to do is, once you have reached a happy point with your primary ferment of kombucha is to transfer that liquid only to carboy, introduce a fermentable sugar to reach desired OG, and add a champagne yeast or perhaps a 'killer' strain, add airlock and proceed like normal for wine making. No need to heat the primary kombucha. But do keep kombucha at least eight feet away from wine/beer when fermenting in progress, it will jump ship quite easily.

FWIW, 2 cups sugar in 1 gallon increases gravity by approx 0.040.

What temp did you achieve when you simmered the tea, because 110F or higher will usually destroy the yeasts-fungi-bacteria?

How is it going?

yeah it didn't turn out too well. it just tasted like prison hootch or something, I tossed it. but I found that just adding sugar to my contuous brew DEFINATELY boosted the ABV. Not sure to what exactly, but i was getting pretty tipsy after 2 big glasses, so it had to be significant!! I actually just tossed it out and use the scoby to start a new batch, it was getting so bad, i couldn't have it if i had to go to work or anything!! But I got to thinking, I bet it was because I sweetened a topoff batch with corn sugar (was out of reg sugar at the time), and that ferments out completely, so that was probably it. That and it had been going for a few months!!

This is an oldish post, but I'm interested in doing this because beer that tastes like kombucha sounds awesome. I think the problem with adding champagne yeast to the already fermented kombucha is that it already has a low pH and the yeast cannot survive. The problem with immediately adding an airlock to a batch of kombucha is that, like said earlier, the scoby is a bacteria and in an anaerobic fermentation will not produce alcohol. The yeast will not reproduce in anaerobic fermentation so no alcohol will be made. You would need to add a yeast with a resistance to low pH. You could possibly strain the yeast from a batch of kombucha and brew with it, but then you wouldn't get the vinegar taste that gives kombucha it's flavor.
I think the only solution is to brew a hard tea and mix it with kombucha....
Someone please tell me there's another way, but vinegar and yeast just don't sound like they could mix in any situation, unless you create an acid resistant yeast...

Back