HOPS-BOPS 2012 Results?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver

Reaction score
Anyone happen to know any of the results?

The site says they were judging today, announcing winners around 430, but I guess that was just in person, at Nodding Head, and I couldn't make it. I'm trying not to be neurotic by emailing them, so I thought I'd beat the bushes here and see if anyone at least went. I'm sure they will post on their site soon. I think seeing all the GABF tweets has me expecting instant gratification. :)

Thanks!

Haha, I am currently in Denver for gabf and was wondering the same thing. I am sure they will post them soon but the suspense is killing me.

Josh

I am wondering also. I shipped three entries out to this one. With most comps having entries from all over the country, I wish organizers would make more of an effort to post online right away. Or, they could just set up a twitter feed for their competition. It is easy to have someone sitting there tweeting the winners as they are announced.

I keep checking the website but still no update. I've never been in a competition where it took so long for them to post the results.

I keep checking the website but still no update. I've never been in a competition where it took so long for them to post the results.

Ha, you haven't entered the BUZZ Boneyard Brewoff then. It took them like a week one year. I still don't understand with today's technology that something can't be posted right away. It should just be standard practice as part of holding a competition to get the results online the same day.

MachineShopBrewing said:
Ha, you haven't entered the BUZZ Boneyard Brewoff then. It took them like a week one year. I still don't understand with today's technology that something can't be posted right away. It should just be standard practice as part of holding a competition to get the results online the same day.

Really lol? I was in the buzz off this year and I believe they posted it the same day.

Really lol? I was in the buzz off this year and I believe they posted it the same day.

They have finally got it figured out then. Do a search for BUZZ boneyard brewoff on this forum. We have all given them six kinds of **** for the last few years.

***I think you are thinking of a different competition. The BUZZ bonyard brewoff is a comp in IL.

MachineShopBrewing said:
They have finally got it figured out then. Do a search for BUZZ boneyard brewoff on this forum. We have all given them six kinds of **** for the last few years.

***I think you are thinking of a different competition. The BUZZ bonyard brewoff is a comp in IL.

Ok yea, the one I'm talking about was in Pa

Looks like a placeholder for results is up now....
hopsclub.org/HOPS-BOPS_2012/hopsbops12.html

205 entries according to that page.

Edit : whoops sorry for the redundant info! Didn't see that machineshopbrewing already had filled us in.

I too am awaiting the results. Somewhere there is a BJCP judge dressed like a zebra with his head under a hood.

NFL-Replacement-Refs-500x290.jpg

I wonder how long it takes to upload the results list? Just another competition I am not going to enter anymore. There is no excuse in my book for leaving a job before it is done. Posting results is part of holding a competition. If a club can't handle that, then stop doing the competition. There are just too many people who enter these comps from far away, and we would like to know the results.

This is the first time I've entered this comp....they're not doing themselves any favors by dragging their feet. I mean, at least put a blurb on the homepage updating us on your progress.

I have tried emailing twice now just to find out when they will post, so I don't have to keep checking back. No response...

This is looking a lot like how the BUZZ club out of IL runs their comp.

#40 Cascade Pale Ale
10 lb US Two Row
3/4 lb Crystal 40

3/4 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 1/4 oz Cascade flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop for 10 days
11.5g US 05 rehydrated

Single infusion mash @ 153F for 90 min
Batch sparged in two stages
Boiled for 60 min
Primary at 64F for 7 days
Secondary at 70(ish) for 10 days
OG: 1.053 FG: 1.013

I've got about 16 bottles left and it's awesome (dry and bitter and sticky)
I'm hoping for a score somewhere in the 38 range.

jeremy0209 said:
#40 Cascade Pale Ale
10 lb US Two Row
3/4 lb Crystal 40

3/4 oz Cascade 60 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
1 oz Cascade 10 min
1 1/4 oz Cascade flameout
2 oz Cascade dry hop for 10 days
11.5g US 05 rehydrated

Single infusion mash @ 153F for 90 min
Batch sparged in two stages
Boiled for 60 min
Primary at 64F for 7 days
Secondary at 70(ish) for 10 days
OG: 1.053 FG: 1.013

I've got about 16 bottles left and it's awesome (dry and bitter and sticky)
I'm hoping for a score somewhere in the 38 range.

Is that in as an American pale ale?

This is very shady

That is an accurate description of how they handle their competitions.
They ran the competition to see who went to the GABF Pro-Am with Dogfish and they were judges on the panel and were not blinded to which brewers brewed which beer (we were pouring for a crowd in a bar). After announcing the winner the winning brewer went up to the stage to say a few words and thanked George and Nancy for his recipe! That was a WTF moment. Small conflict of interest there. But I'm just bitter I came in second.

That is an accurate description of how they handle their competitions.
They ran the competition to see who went to the GABF Pro-Am with Dogfish and they were judges on the panel and were not blinded to which brewers brewed which beer (we were pouring for a crowd in a bar). After announcing the winner the winning brewer went up to the stage to say a few words and thanked George and Nancy for his recipe! That was a WTF moment. Small conflict of interest there. But I'm just bitter I came in second.

Whoah, WTF?

Isn't that the core value of a comp? It said unmarked bottles, why even bother?

At first I didn't really care that they hadn't posted their scores, but if this is true they should lose their BJCP sanction.

Whoah, WTF?

Isn't that the core value of a comp? It said unmarked bottles, why even bother?

At first I didn't really care that they hadn't posted their scores, but if this is true they should lose their BJCP sanction.

I'm pretty sure they are blinded to this competition, so it shouldn't be a problem here. But you never know.

But for the one in June they weren't blinded because we actually brought our beer up to the judges and told them what it was. Plus they came by when we were pouring.

Under review can only mean two things to me.

1. They are changing the results.

2. They are willing to change the results.

I always thought that the results were whatever the judges on judging day decided? Maybe I have been wrong all this time? What is there to review?

yeah, they were supposed to announce the winners at 4:30 on Saturday. If they've already announced the winners, what needs to be reviewed? Wait!! I know. Somebody must have failed a drug test. Somebody was doping and that gave them an unfair advantage on the rest of the field. Kudos to HOPS for trying to make this right.

yeah, they were supposed to announce the winners at 4:30 on Saturday. If they've already announced the winners, what needs to be reviewed? Wait!! I know. Somebody must have failed a drug test. Somebody was doping and that gave them an unfair advantage on the rest of the field. Kudos to HOPS for trying to make this right.

bwaaa, haaahahaaaa

I tried getting an explanation as to what "under review" means. No response...

yeah, they were supposed to announce the winners at 4:30 on Saturday. If they've already announced the winners, what needs to be reviewed?

That is exactly what I am wondering. I wish someone who was actually there would chime in. I am guessing that they went through all the rounds of judging. What more is there to do?

Okay I was there, entered beers, and stewarded entries for this competition. I don't know everything about what happened, but I'll provide some insight.

1. Ribbons for 1, 2, and 3 were given out at the event for each category (some were collapsed). Judging for each of the flights was completed and BOS announced. I was there for almost the whole day. Score sheets are supposed to be scanned and distributed early this week.

2. The organizer for this even had to pull out at the last minute because of family issues, so it's not been the best organized competition. However, people are trying their best. I think this is part of the reason why the score sheets aren't back and results not posted

3. During judging all the beer was blinded. Anyone that submitted a beer to a certain category was not allowed to judge that category. There were many BJCP certified, national and even 1 master Judge there to make sure rules were followed. Top 3 places in Wood-aged, Fruit Beer, Belgian Specialty, 23A, and a couple other categories were eligible for entrance to an event during Philly Beer Week, Extreme Homebrew Fest. The winner of that event gets to brew a beer for the GABF Pro-Am. The winner is picked by a combination of popular vote, Sam Caligione, and the owners of Home Sweet Homebrew

4. The Administrative hold-up, I think is because some of the entries into the competition this year may have been from pro-brewers or homebrewers brewing on commercial equipment. I think a couple brewers were familiar or known to be starting brewpubs. I think they organizers are trying to determine if some of these winners were actually eligible in the first place. This is purely speculation though. As I googled a couple of the repeat winners, and some results showed that they were starting or had ambitions of starting a brewery. However, I know lots of us are "head brewers" of our home brewery--I think this is different if someone is actually the brewer of a brewpub trying to get BJCP reviews of their test batches before going to market or opening.

Back