Lorglath's ~19Ft^3 Oak Keezer Project with Cigar Band Top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorglath

Reaction score
My goal for this project is two bring my two passions together, home brewing, and cigars. The three projects that I am basing this off of mostly are:

Ksanz Minimum Woodworking Keezer - Link
G8tor's Keezer - Link
Cigar Band Table - Link

Images below
Ksanz finished product:
2012-05-27_14-24-13_682.jpg

G8tor's finished product:
28882d1309482546-my-keezer-build-pictures-img_1758.jpg

Cigar band table:
dscn1315a.jpg

I figured this would be a good place to add the latest picture so you can keep up with just the top post if you wanted
IMG_1275_zpsb456330e.jpg

Post dedicated to the base of the cabinet's construction:

Basic chest freezer I got off of craigslist for $160
IMG_0979.jpg

Showing the tower that will be going on top, roughly in it's place
IMG_0977.jpg

Measured and drawn areas for hole locations for two tower tapper
IMG_0981.jpg

8 kegs pictured, it can hold 9, I think I'll have to put the CO2 tank on the outside and hose it in.
IMG_0980.jpg

working area
IMG_0984.jpg

drilling holes for the pocket screws
IMG_0983.jpg

base assembled
IMG_0985.jpg

showing a close up of the pocket screw holes
IMG_0986.jpg

I was contemplating making a similar top to ensure it was sturdy enough for the epoxy top, after talking with a co-worker, I am going to reinforce the 3/4" plywood with aluminum U channel to add rigidity to the top, and attach the board directly to the topper
IMG_0988.jpg

attaching the casters, pre-drilled all the holes, then ratcheted in the lag screws until nice and tight
IMG_0990.jpg

Attaching the uprights, again with pocket screws, they have an amazingly strong grip. I used 2x6 everywhere because I found a TON of 2x6's at the menards scrap bin for around $0.60 each, and they were long enough for my needs so I used them.
IMG_0991.jpg

Different angle
IMG_0992.jpg

adding uprights for the sides
IMG_0993.jpg

close-up of the inside corner. One thing to mention, I had to replace the left corner here because the first piece of wood I used was warped and didn't make a square corner. Make sure your boards are roughly true before you buy them or you will be re-doing your project in order to make it work
IMG_0995.jpg

Securing the corner pieces together with 1 pre-drilled wood screw
IMG_0994.jpg

Supports on. I was planning on putting them all the way to the top, but decided I would rather there be some air flow, so I put them down a little. I was glad I did, because the risers are about a cm too tall in some areas and I need to chop / sand it down. I am happy I only have a limited area I need to do that too.
IMG_1007.jpg

Freezer in!
IMG_1008.jpg

Mostly right on with the level
IMG_1009.jpg

cut the oak face board
IMG_1010.jpg

Another shot of the oak face board before it was attached
IMG_1011.jpg

Attached the oak face board, again, pre drilling before I screwed, measurements and cuts were almost dead on!
Pointer: make sure to measure the top and bottom, because the cube is likely not the same dimensions on the top as the bottom for width.
IMG_1012.jpg

Another shot from the other side
IMG_1013.jpg

Secured a board on the back to add structure and support to the frame
IMG_1014.jpg

Showing the gap around the freezer for air flow.
IMG_1015.jpg

I spent some time cleaning up the wiring in the back. Since it only pulls 4A, I just connected it directly to the controller rather than having the contactor in line with it.
IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

started adding the oak trim. I ripped the boards down from roughly 1x12's to about 2.5" each, miter cut the corners of the front at 45 degrees, sides are just butt joints
IMG_1023.jpg

there was some bowing in the front and sides at the top, which is why I used clamps and some liquid nails to keep them together before I used 2" finishing nails to tag them together.
IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

View from the front
IMG_1025.jpg

showing that I am using some liquid nails as additional support.
IMG_1027.jpg

started on the left side
IMG_1028.jpg

remember when I said to use true boards... apparently I didn't listen to my own advice. My corner piece is bowed and I had to put a shim inbetween the boards to ensure the outsides were together, I also had to cut the front a little longer to compensate for this.
IMG_1029.jpg

I also had to shim the vertical board, but no one will see from this angle so I am not concerned.
IMG_1030.jpg

made this piece a bit thinner so the total width would match up since a portion of the width is made up from the front board it is joining up to.
IMG_1031.jpg

finished base (before filler, sanding, staining and what-not)
IMG_1032.jpg

We tried taking the top off, but found that the inside had styrafoam inside instead of fiberglass insullation, therefore I didn't need to pop it off. We started drilling holes!
IMG_1033.jpg

We drilled from the top down, got through the metal, used a longer drill bit to break through the plastic, then cut up from the inside for clean cuts.
IMG_1034.jpg

A picture of the top piece of wood cut to size
IMG_1035.jpg

I also cut down the aluminum U channel and set on top board for illustration. I decided to use U channel to add rigidity to the board. Since I am planning on using an epoxy topper, I didn't want any flex in the top. I figure with lots of lag bolts attaching it to the top of the freezer, and U channel surrounding the device, there wouldn't be much room for the top board to flex and pop off the epoxy top.
IMG_1036.jpg

I realized this would be an easier way to attach, so I flipped the top board onto its back and started installing the Aluminum U Channel. To do this I pre-drilled holes for the lag bolts, cleaned up the mess, used some liquid nails, pre-drilled a sink hole on the opposite side so the heads would sink in, and started going to town.
IMG_1042.jpg

here is a shot of the sunk in heads
IMG_1043.jpg

attached the top to the lid
IMG_1074.jpg

To do this we drilled holes, then drilled a larger hole through the lid to allow for us to screw up the bolts. a few pics ago I showed that I had countersunk the bolts on the aluminum u channel, that proved to be unnecessary, as if using a drill to tighten the bolts, they sink in quite nice on their own
IMG_1073.jpg

top in place with wood surround cut to size, just tacked in place for the time to ensure a good fit
IMG_1075.jpg

We used more liquid nails to attache the top surround and perpendicular boards that hide the U channel. We also tacked with a finishing nailer.
IMG_1076-1.jpg

Gluing scrap boards together so we can make a riser for the tap system so it doesn't sit in the epoxy, glued 3 together in total
IMG_1077-1.jpg

We used a drill press to cut the larger circles out of our glued together scrap boards
IMG_1084-1.jpg

Then used the same pilot hole to cut the 3" circle out of the center
IMG_1085.jpg

Which left us with a nice riser to set the tap on
IMG_1089.jpg

here is a pic with the top mocked up on top of the risers
IMG_1087.jpg

we then started the finishing process: Had to sink the finishing nails and add wood filler
IMG_1090-1.jpg

then we sanded it with a belt sander (which I got carried away with in some areas and there are some gouges we couldn't get out, be careful with a belt sander! My advice, take it down most of the way with a belt sander, then use elbow grease and 100 grit to finish it off. after the belt sander we did 120 grit by hand, 220 grit, and 400 grit... after the 400 grit it was shining!
IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1094-1.jpg

IMG_1095-1.jpg

There was some spacing where the side panels met up, filled it with wood filler, hope it turns out okay after the stain.
IMG_1096.jpg

Here it is after stain was applied. I went with this color "Red Mahogany" because it is the same as the other piece of woodwork in the man-cave, so it was fitting
IMG_1100.jpg

different angle, still wet
IMG_1101.jpg

3rd angle, still wet
IMG_1102.jpg

3rd angle again the next AM once it was dried
IMG_1103.jpg

Apparently I didn't take any pics of us putting 3 coats of oil based poly on it, but it is done, and looking good... now onto the top with cigar labels!

we started with a pretty thin smattering. We used Elmers glue and added a bit of water to thin it down. We would use a paint brush to apply over an area, say 8"x8" and then put the labels down once the glue tacked up a bit. Some edges came up, but we just kept pushing them down or added glue on top until they stayed put... This part of the project is going to take a while.
IMG_1105.jpg

About 1/2 done, with the 1st pass of the 1st layer
IMG_1109.jpg

So I had to ask for some help from some fellow BOTLs (Brothers of the leaf) and boy did they deliver on extra bands!
IMG_1113.jpg

I decided to do a solid first layer now that I had plenty of bands, the 2nd and 3rd layer of bands will be much less dense.

View from the right
IMG_1133.jpg

View from the left
IMG_1134.jpg

Top view... starting to look up!!! Now I just have to wait until my 4 gallons of epoxy come in!
IMG_1132.jpg

More to come soon!

The epoxy came in and I have more pictures to share! I didn’t end up taking a lot of pictures between the layers of epoxy, but you get the idea of it. Below is a small sampling of the pictures I took while creating it that tell the story…

First off you need to make sure the top is level
IMG_1174_zps430b64dc.jpg

One last pic of the first layer before epoxy
IMG_1172_zpse0e01b9b.jpg

Carefully stirring the epoxy as to not add bubbles, you can see the slight swirls in it, it is good to go when you can no longer see em.
IMG_1170_zps62d78bd2.jpg

Dumped the contents on top the top, and spread them around with a piece of plastic
IMG_1178_zps5833490f.jpg

Use heat gun to pop bubbles and smooth out layer
IMG_1181_zpse445d4c1.jpg

First layer done and smooth
IMG_1182_zps0729c191.jpg

Close up after the first layer
IMG_1191_zps7a0f8dc7.jpg

Skip to the final layer of cigar labels
IMG_1223_zpsc7b36428.jpg

Here is a lesson to you… when using epoxy, don’t try to pop bubbles after it has start to set up, I ended up causing a ton of ripples in what could have been the last layer, had to do all 4 layers of expoxy because of this… notice the reflections on the bottom part of the light
IMG_1226_zpsaae25483.jpg

You can really see the depth between the layers
IMG_1227_zps29df243e.jpg

Shameless plug for the CRA
IMG_1228_zps6f839e49.jpg

First label laid surrounded by his brothers
IMG_1229_zps80583c95.jpg

Top done
IMG_1231_zps7ae14be1.jpg

Tap installed
IMG_1258_zpsf0f94f0f.jpg

Went with a heavier gauge screw
IMG_1259_zpse82d73f4.jpg

Taps on, starting to run line
IMG_1260_zpse0acd01d.jpg

Left most tap will be a stout tap, in shipping right now
IMG_1261_zpsc70fc70f.jpg

Pouring beer!
IMG_1290_zps51245132.jpg

Me and the guys that helped along the way!
IMG_1275_zpsb456330e.jpg

ripped some 1x12 oak boards into ~2.5" yesterday, and sanded down the posts so they were level with the top, I'll post more pics tomorrow.

updated with more pics! I have been working almost every evening on this sucker trying to get it done post-haste!

Looks awesome! I covered a small end table with the two-part bar top epoxy and multiple layers of cigar bands and it looks great. That is going to be a sweet keezer!

Thanks! I love the comments, and I'll be having one of my friends stop by soon and do some higher quality shots to really show off the bar top.

any suggestions for improvements from anyone? Things that you did differently that would be advantageous?

I like the top. Has given me an idea of what to use these stupid hockey cards I've been holding onto since forever...

belt sander = the devil. ROS (random orbital sander) is the way to go!

Back