Bottle Carbonation FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

I made a 10 gallons batch of 9.3% ABV dark belgian strong ale recently, using Wyeast's Belgian Abbey Ale II. I was lazy and only bottled half of it right away. I stored another 5 gallons in my fridge to cold crash, the laziness prevailed, and I left it there for 3 weeks.

So after 3 weeks of cold crashing I took it out, primed with sugar, and bottled...It was super clear, and still there is no visible residue on the bottom. It has been about 6 weeks and there is no carbonation. I'm wondering if maybe I took 100% of the yeast out of solution with my lengthy cold crash?

Should I open each bottle and sprinkle a bit of appropriate yeast in each????

Thanks,

Delaney

If I were you I would wait a little longer am sure they will carb eventually. Also high gravity beers take a lot longer to carb. And since you cold crash you took out a lot of the yeast in the brew. But there should be enough yeast to carb its just going to take a little longer sinces there is less yeast.

Put the bottles some place warm, a top your refrigerator, in the closet with the water heater etc. ~26C and let them set for a couple of weeks.

Bottles, if properly primed should eventually carb up. At 9.3% they may take quite awhile, as suggested move them to a warmer spot and give them more time.

Revvy will probably jump all over this thread :D

haha I just saw a bottle of perrier downstairs, did the trick but unfortunately too expensive to be a solution haha.

I've had some take a few months to carb up. Forget them for 6 months and they will be fine.

Back