Yeast Starter Overflow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGlass

Reaction score
Looking for some thoughts/advice...

I had a bit of an overflow in my starter while at work today. I'd say the puddle was about a quarter to a third of a cup, maybe a bit less. I'm sure there was some yeast carried out with the foam. Not sure if it was a lot or a little.

Its a 2.3L starter of english ale yeast (WL002) in a 3L container, hopefully going into a 1.070 OG brew this weekend.

What's my best course of action? Go with whatever I have in the starter or maybe get another vial to pitch in addition to the starter? I've never had any overflow in a starter so I have no idea what it's going to do to my pitching rate...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Red

How long has the starter been going?

Since you still have a day or two until brewing, maybe you make a little more wort and pour it in?

Either way though I bet you're fine.

Its about 24 hours at this point.

My initial reaction was just to RDWHAHB and pitch the starter as normal. But then I started second guessing myself and worrying that a huge bunch of yeast got carried out and I'll be setting myself up to really underpitch.

Same thing happened to me on a 3L starter of Kolsch yeast I was going to pitch into a 10g batch. There was a ton of thick, creamy liquid all over the place...probably 1/2 cup. I was going to call off the brew day because of it. I didn't. I pitched it and everything turned out fine. In fact, I think this Kolsch is one of my favorites.

Its about 24 hours at this point.

My initial reaction was just to RDWHAHB and pitch the starter as normal. But then I started second guessing myself and worrying that a huge bunch of yeast got carried out and I'll be setting myself up to really underpitch.

Exactly my train of thought...pitch it dawg.

Back