Help me w/ an "organism Paper"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_j8mmin

Reaction score
I chose yeast of course, as my organism to write about :drunk:
I'm haveing trouble already determining the 1.Domain 2.Phylum 3.Class 4.Family 5Genus
i was able to find kingdom order and species from wikipeda.

If your into this I'd like to talk about Reproduction, Interesting genetic characteristics and respiration of our little buddies :mug:
Thanks
Ben

Yep. All fungi are eukaryotes. (And so are all plants, animals, and protists.)

There are, of course, many different types of yeast out there, but I will assume you are mentioning brewer's yeast. You may want to do some research to offer a discussion about other types, such as Schizosaccharomyces, another common yeast for research purposes.

Kingdom:
Fungi
Subkingdom: Dikarya
Phylum: Ascomycota
Subphylum: Saccharomycotina
Class: Saccharomycetes
Order: Saccharomycetales
Family: Saccharomycetaceae
Genus: Saccharomyces
Species: Depends, but most common would be Cerevisiae

Wow. Sorry, but I completely read that title incorrectly.
I can't help you.

Kingdom:[/B] Fungi
Subkingdom: Dikarya
Phylum: Ascomycota
Subphylum: Saccharomycotina
Class: Saccharomycetes
Order: Saccharomycetales
Family: Saccharomycetaceae
Genus: Saccharomyces
Species: Depends, but most common would be Cerevisiae

just because it is a pet peeve of mine, the species should not be capitalized and both the genus and species should be italicized. Saccharomyces cerevisiae

:mug:

I chose yeast of course, as my organism to write about :drunk:
I'm haveing trouble already determining the 1.Domain 2.Phylum 3.Class 4.Family 5Genus
i was able to find kingdom order and species from wikipeda.

If your into this I'd like to talk about Reproduction, Interesting genetic characteristics and respiration of our little buddies :mug:
Thanks
Ben

Just curious which wikipedia page you were looking at. The one I saw has it all on there.

Looks like someone is looking for a Copy and Paste Term paper

This was the result of 5 seconds of looking.

Yeast.bmp

WIKI is not a valid reference for most professors. It's client side editable, so you could change it to anything you want it to say. I don't even click on wiki links when doing real research.

In this case, it worked though.

B

I just curious how you are going to reference HBT as a source in your bibliography. It should be fairly obvious to the instructor that you didn't know every step of the classification of brewers yeast.

Best hurry to the library for some reference material.

WIKI is not a valid reference for most professors. It's client side editable, so you could change it to anything you want it to say. I don't even click on wiki links when doing real research.

In this case, it worked though.

B

That may be true, but any good Wikipedia article has references cited and are quite invaluable as sources of info. You can use the references cited on the wiki page to find the info you need pretty easily, and legitimately.

And to be honest, it's quite BS that you can change a wiki article to say anything you want. Give it a try and see how many minutes your bogus change lasts before the page is reverted back to viable information. The people that create and edit those pages watch them like hawks and will immediately revert the page or challenge any unverifiable info.

The REAL reason sources like Wikipedia can't be used is because they are dynamic. So something you cited on a wiki page this week may not be there or have been completely redone and have different information in 5 years time. The moral of the story is that you can trust a vast majority of the information on Wikipedia, provided it is correctly cited on the page.

The REAL reason sources like Wikipedia can't be used is because they are dynamic. So something you cited on a wiki page this week may not be there or have been completely redone and have different information in 5 years time. The moral of the story is that you can trust a vast majority of the information on Wikipedia, provided it is correctly cited on the page.

:off:

You can always access the point in time you quoted it through the revision history so long as you properly cite wiki in your bib document. :eek:

Not to sound like a jerk, but who's writing this paper? Won't learn anything if people give you the answers. The most important thing to learn in college is How to Learn!

I have to agree completely. If you can't even find information as basic as taxonomy, you really need to learn how to do at least basic research using proper sources. Go have yourself a homebrew, think that over, and then get your ass to the library!

:off:

You can always access the point in time you quoted it through the revision history so long as you properly cite wiki in your bib document. :eek:

Yeah, I know but that's too techincal/too much work for most professors and peer reviewers of a paper that aren't viewing a document electronically with nice hyperlinks to references, so I just kind of overlooked it as an option.

Its true I didn't understand the taxonomy at all. And not a whole lot better yet.

The wiki page I was looking at was "brewers yeast" not AS helpful.

I apologize for bringing it pretty week , I was just thinking (accurately ) there was liable to be people who are interested in this and would enjoy spoon feeding me the info :eek:

I'll post the paper when It's a little closer to due.

Latest posts

Back