Quick rice hulls question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
FINALLY running my first AG batch this weekend on a rig I've been working onFOR-F'IN'-EVER..

I'm going to be mashing 10 lbs of pils and 8 lbs of wheat.

Any need for rice hulls? I was thinking with the pils I wouldn't need it but I REALLY... REALLY don't feel like having a stuck mash after waiting so long to get my first AG batch going.

FINALLY running my first AG batch this weekend on a rig I've been working onFOR-F'IN'-EVER..

I'm going to be mashing 10 lbs of pils and 8 lbs of wheat.

Any need for rice hulls? I was thinking with the pils I wouldn't need it but I REALLY... REALLY don't feel like having a stuck mash after waiting so long to get my first AG batch going.
Wheat, is it flaked?

FWIW, I use a sauce pot full of rice hulls in all my batches. More for tricky batches using flaked wheat or barley.

Rice hulls help my efficiency (I fly sparge). They keep the grain bed fluffier and prevent channeling. I just like them as a normal part of my brewing.

That is a standard grain bill for us and we never use rich hulls. (as long as the wheat is not flaked)

We use a 10 gallon water cooler mash for an hour and sparge for about 1 hour nice and slow.

Good luck and have fun

FWIW, I use a sauce pot full of rice hulls in all my batches. More for tricky batches using flaked wheat or barley.

Rice hulls help my efficiency (I fly sparge). They keep the grain bed fluffier and prevent channeling. I just like them as a normal part of my brewing.

+1 I always use them too. Its cheap insurance if nothing else. ;)

I only use them if I have more than a pound or two of unmalted or flaked grain. 50/50 malted barley and malted wheat is no problem IMHO. Even so, a 1/2 pound of rice hulls goes a long way and it's pretty cheap.

cool, Thanks again.

I'm leaning towards using them. It sounds like the worst possible thing that can happen is that I wasted a couple bucks on using them when I didn't really need them.

for my first run through on the monstrosity I built, I think it's worth the insurance policy.

Thanks again.

Nice to have some on hand if/when needed, I have added the hulls after fighting a slow sparge. Surprisingly, a couple of large handfuls made all the difference.

Back