Fall Cider prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The local cider mill near me charged 5.25 a gallon last year. They don't grow their own apples just press them. This year it is 3.89 a half gallon and they are not even selling it by the gallon or to the local stores. So I guess it will be store bought apple juice for me. They did say they plan on buying 1000 acres of orchards next year though.

A friend owns an apple orchard and he said wholesale juice apple prices have quadrupled. Good for him...

Picked up 10 gallons for $50 in West MI for frozen cider. Prices will be going up to $6-7 gallon. Hill Bros estimates less than 15% production.

A local orchard/cider maker quoted me $50 for 5 gallons of a mix of bittersharp and bittersweet. He is the first producer in WA state that sells non-sweet/drinking cider that I have found. I will probably end up picking up 10 gallons to experiment with since this is the first time I have found non-sweet/drinking cider.

It looks like we are having our 2nd biggest crop ever here in WA, I bet a lot of it ends up elsewhere in the country. Not sure what impact this will have on the fresh drinking cider market, my guess would be that we will see average prices ($6-10 a gallon).

Just got back from Wegmans. 3 quarts of apple juice just went up from $2.89 to $4.29.

However, I also saw that a gallon of Musslemans Cider at Walmart is $3.00 this week, down from $4.48.

Picked up 3 gallons in central Illinois back on Friday. 8 bucks a gallon, around 4 a half gallon. Had to get a little extra just to drink.

Apples did pretty good this year in NC, I guess...my LHBS pressed over 3 tons of apples and charged 5.99 per gallon (it was $5 if you pre-ordered it ahead of time...)

A local orchard/cider maker quoted me $50 for 5 gallons of a mix of bittersharp and bittersweet. He is the first producer in WA state that sells non-sweet/drinking cider that I have found. I will probably end up picking up 10 gallons to experiment with since this is the first time I have found non-sweet/drinking cider.

Where in WA is this? My bulk orders have currently been going to Skagit Fresh, but I'm always up for getting a bit of diversity. Although that is double what I'm paying now.

My cost is ~ $3.60/gallon.
but...this is the important part, previous poster is right, wholesale prices are up.
Seven years ago it was $5/bushel, last year was $7, this year......$9.00 a bushel fir cider apples.

Sure beats $.99 pund for grocery store apples though.

Back