Strangely fast carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyraindreams

Reaction score
I'm moving my discussion that I offtopiced in another thread to here because I'm trying to figure out why my beer is carbonated after 3-4 days. I took this video a little drunk last night(and decided to wait and review it in the morning before posting a drunken video, felt i sounded like a git and posted it anyways) and I apologize for the camera work but the guy(neighbor) who was going to take the video was passed out drunk after bottling and brewing his weird IPA all day...

If you remember my earlier post where I was trying to figure out why it was doing this

I think it may have something to do with the amount of CO2 it produced during fermentation... I brewed on the 5th and racked to the secondary on the 10th and then bottled on the 16th then Friday it was pretty carbonated and yesterday was pretty good too...

Its not that I'm unhappy with carbonated beer... I just wonder why its happened this way... since this was first batch ever its been a pretty extreme experience considering :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You bring up the video you want on a separate tab. Then when that tab is white (on viewer),you left click on the the window with the site code on it to high-lite it blue. Then right click,window pops up,you click on "copy". Goto your reply box,click on the little blue globe symbol with the chain link. Another box pops up,Right click on it,click "paste",then hit ok. You're done.
Sometimes they carb up fast due to temps,priming sugar used,being mixed well,& of low to medium gravity. That's my experience. I had my Sunset Gold APA carb up very well in 11 days flat. But...it still took till 4 weeks in the bottles for the flavors/aromas to age properly. You can speed up carbonation,but you can't speed aging. It seems to me that bulk priming makes carbonation go faster,since it's in solution before it's mixed into the beer.

It's not unusual for a bottled beer to carb in just a few days. The reason that you don't want to drink it for 2-3 weeks has more to do with the CO2 dissolving equally into the beer and the yeast cleaning up the last off-flavors of fermentation than it does actually waiting for the beer to carb.

The carbonation dissolving into solution does help our perception of the beer's flavor,but it's not the end all of it. The flavors & aromas need time to mature,which isn't a function of carbonation. It's a seperate issue that can't be hurried. Take stouts for example,or barley wines.
It just takes time for the whole thing to be ready,not just the bubbles.

Thanks, Got it to work!

Yeah it absolutely needs a bit of aging... But I'm just surprised it didn't take the two weeks to carbonate...

Nice beer though its less porter and more like a clone of Bell's Cherry Stout with a slightly lighter cherry flavor which is what I wanted...

Alright well it's only going to get to age as long as it takes me to drink it :p I really like the way it tastes now... ill probably save a few bottles to see what it could have been if it wasnt so tasty from the start.

Low grav beers tend to carb up quick... my record was a honeyweizen that I primed with honey, it was fully carbonated in about 36 hours. All the suspended yeast, the lowish ABV, and the highly fermentable honey was a perfect storm for quick carbonation

OG was 1.056
FG was 1.002

It was pretty fizzy when i transferred from the secondary to the bottling bucket any chance that CO2 carried over? Maybe we should all carbonate with fresh cherries :p

It likely was just off gassing co2 in solution after fermentation. Quite common. 1.002 seems low for a 1.056 OG. The cherries must've dried it out pretty good.

I think it has to do with the cherries tbh, my neighbor did cherries in his IPA and it exploded but the gravity just dropped like a stone on his satellite which survived. Yeast was just Nottingham Ale yeast. It developed hefty yeast cakes in both the primary and secondary, way way bigger than the other 4 batches so far even in primary the secondary of the cherry porter was bigger...

I have had carbonation in a beer after 1 day in the bottle. The issue is that the beer goes flat really quickly because the CO2 is not in solution. If you think it is good now just wait a couple of weeks. I hardly ever drink stuff unless it has been three weeks in the bottle. this video kinda shows what I mean.

Decided to drink test bottle #3 at day 5... the flavor has changed significantly in one day and the carbonation has gone up a lot... goes to show what an extra day can do...

Tastes a bit like sour rootbeer which is what came to mind. Can barely detect the cherries now...

tyraindreams said:
Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EtBjVADj1c&feature=player_embedded
Tastes a bit like sour rootbeer which is what came to mind. Can barely detect the cherries now...

1.002 is insanely dry for a porter. To be honest, im not even sure how that low of a gravity is attainable with a typical porter grainbill, and its flat out not possible with an extract as far as I or anyone I've brewed with has experienced. What was your recipe and mash temp?

Brewers Best Robust Porter extract kit with some additions... cherries, 2 lbs of cherries in cherry syrup and 2 lbs of fresh cherries...

Your beer may have some carbonation, but more than likely it's not fully locked in yet.

Watch poindexter's video from my bottling blog.

Like he shows several times, even @ 1 week, all the hissing, all the foaming can and does happen, but until it's dissolved back into the beer, your don't really have carbonation, with tiny bubbles coming out of solution happening actually inside the glass, not JUST what's happening on the surface.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just check back in 2 more weeks and see what's up.

Back