TruGreen Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapHeap2000

Reaction score
My wife thought she would do something nice and call TruGreen to come and take care of the yard. Well, they used some sort of weed killer on my yard and my hops which are 3 years old now. Just when they are going to be fairly good. I had nice crowns and had plans to cut them back before letting them really take off. Today, I get home from rowk and they are curled up and look almost dead. Is there anything I can do?? Please help.

My wife is a horticulturist...she said the only thing you can do to possibly save them is cut them down to the ground...NOW. The vines (if they are still alive) are carrying the poison down to the roots. You can MAYBE save the roots if you cut off the above ground growth. Good luck!

oh man.. that sucks! I'd call up TruGreen and get a refund at the least. They should have known or at least asked what was a weed and what wasn't.

Thanks cutting them back now
Trust me the poor girl that answered the phone for trugreej got an earful but in the end what can anyone do so I am hitting the kegorator hard and fast
It all will be good

In my short time in this great community, I have learned one important lesson that applies here. (as hard as it may be)

RDWHAHB :tank:

Dig them up now. Dont bother with washing them (if the weedkiller has got into the rhizome then theyre 4Q).
Cut the rhizomes into small pieces and re-plant int pots of compost. They might survive, they might not. Find out what they sprayed with.
F*****g Idiots.

Re-reading your OP and taking the time difference into account ( Im on GMT) your hops might be salvagable.

Dig them up now. Dont bother with washing them (if the weedkiller has got into the rhizome then theyre 4Q).
Cut the rhizomes into small pieces and re-plant int pots of compost.

Difference of opinion here...

In my SWMBO's educated opinion: the extra shock of digging them up and cutting them up could very well be the final nail in the coffin. Leave them where they are, baby them for a while and see what happens. Keep them well watered.

How does one baby them??
It's 80 degrees today and calling for 45 tomorrow
I'd hate to dig them up
Sometimes **** happens
But to be honest it's like a dog dying
Sad and heart wrenching but new ryzomes are like 5 bucks

How does one baby them??

I guess "baby them" is a pretty meaningless term. :eek:

She said to just keep an eye on them. Make sure they are getting enough water if it's dry there. She did say that if you normally fertilize them, do not fertilize until you see some new growth coming back (fingers crossed!)

No promises, but hops are tough. You never know...

After college, my degree lead me into the lawn care industry and have been using herbicides, in one manner or another, ever since. What they got hit with was most likely a broad spectrum broadleaf herbicide. Most of them stimulate cell division to the point that the plant grows itself to death (the twisting/curling of the leaves is a response that it's doing it's thing). Your situation is much different than the little dandelion in that your 'weed' is a very hardy perennial with a ton of energy stored up for this years' growth. I very highly doubt that your hops will take in much - if any of the herbicide due to the fact that all of their stored energy is being released from the crown to provide top growth at this point. You did right to remove the affected shoots and maybe a good spray with the garden hose will help wash away some of the residual material. If they grew well for you in the previous two seasons you should have a great deal of additional shoots that will continue to sprout over the next few months leaving you with a decent harvest. Like was mentioned earlier, have a beer - or whatever else you can get out of the incident. All will be good!

1st off, call True Green & find out EXACTLY what they sprayed on the hops: Type of herbicide, type of fert, was there a spreader sticker used, any insecticides, etc...
Those services usually spray a mix of fert, broadleaf herbicde (contact and/or systemic), and some type of insecticide.

Also, find out if the hops were sprayed directly, or if it's just overspray or drift; it can make a difference. Once you know this info, you'll be in a better position to try to save your rhizomes.

Now, True Green is responsible for replacing your rhizomes. They sprayed 'em, they should replace them. Same goes for anything else they damaged/killed/contaminated. Even if your hops survive, bill True Green for the cost of replacement. I'd also ask them for a refund. I'm not sure how they do things in your state, but some states require pesticide applicators to pass required tests and/or pass required continuing education classes to maintain their certification(s). Keep an eye on any other plants they may have sprayed, and keep a close eye on your lawn.

If they were stupid enough/careless enough to spray your hops, they may have striped your lawn too; look for dark green stripes to appear in your lawn. Striping comes from a sloppy, overlapping spray pattern & wherever the spray patterns overlap, twice the amount of mix was applied, hence the striping. Striping can (depending on the mix) burn grass in the overlapped areas.

Good luck to you. Regards, GF.

My wife thought she would do something nice and call TruGreen to come and take care of the yard. Well, they used some sort of weed killer on my yard and my hops which are 3 years old now. Just when they are going to be fairly good. I had nice crowns and had plans to cut them back before letting them really take off. Today, I get home from rowk and they are curled up and look almost dead. Is there anything I can do?? Please help.

Just because I found it entertaining, when I read the your first post to start the thread there was an advertisement banner for TruGreen underneath of it. LOLZ.

Glad to hear they are coming back. Its actually common practice in hop production to "chemically prune" the first shoots of the season instead of mechanically pruning them. TruGreen did you a favor :) (not really... but glad they're okay!)

Back