Belgian Tripel Recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
Hey guys. Its been a while. I'm finally about to start brewing again and need some feedback on this Belgian Tripel I'm planning. I've never done a Really high gravity beer so and tips would be great.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Tripel Waw
Brewer: Justin Wawrzonek
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 75.00 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
0.50 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
1.75 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 26.5 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-SteHops -
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 14.29 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Adding sugar during last 5 minutes of boil.

Primary: 10 Days
Secondary: 20 days
Age for 30 Days
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would increase the pre-boil volume to 7.5 g. and allow for a 1.5 to 2 hour boil to reduce the DMS in the Pilsner malt.

+1. Increase boil time to 90 minutes.

I'd replace the Caravienne with more Pils malt. My preference in Tripel grist is Pils malt and sugar. That's it. Tripel needs to be light-bodied and dry; caramalts will surely ruin that.

I also prefer no flavor or aroma hops in Tripel, as I believe Tripel is a vehicle for yeast flavor. Flavors and aromas of hops tend to mask the more delicate yeast esters. However, I'm well aware my preference for non-hoppy beers makes me a pariah in the beer-enthusiast community. :D

Cheers!

Bob

Unfortunately my pot is only 7.5, but I will try to maximize the pre boil volume. I can probably get around 6.75 without a huge boil-over risk.

Also thanks for the feedback on the malts. I will definitely tweak and re-post.

I think the 1.5 hr. boil is pretty important, even if it means boiling off too much and topping up with water in the primary.

Alright here's my second attempt. Removed the Caravienne malt and upped the Pilsner to 11lbs. I still add the Hops starting at 60 minutes as I don't believe there is any benefit to adding them earlier (Please correct me if I'm wrong). I also lowered the Bittering hops to 1.5 because I had the aroma hops set up wrong on my calculator.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Tripel Waw
Brewer: Justin Wawrzonek
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Tripel
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.084 SG
Estimated Color: 4.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.57 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.14 %
1.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 23.6 IBU
0.75 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (30 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (15 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
2.00 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 14.29 %
1 Pkgs Trappist Ale (White Labs #WLP500) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------

Looks like you're set. You're right: You don't need to boil your main hops charge for 90 minutes. I still do. I add my first charge five minutes after I start seeing hot break and start the boil timer at that point. The difference is really quite minimal. I do it because I'm forgetful. ;)

Don't forget to pitch enough yeast. Even though Trappist yeasts are voracious little buggers, pitch rate is crucial. One vial of WL yeast is not enough; you're going to need more yeast. Are you equipped to conduct a starter ferment?

Bob

Looks like you're set. You're right: You don't need to boil your main hops charge for 90 minutes. I still do. I add my first charge five minutes after I start seeing hot break and start the boil timer at that point. The difference is really quite minimal. I do it because I'm forgetful. ;)

Don't forget to pitch enough yeast. Even though Trappist yeasts are voracious little buggers, pitch rate is crucial. One vial of WL yeast is not enough; you're going to need more yeast. Are you equipped to conduct a starter ferment?

Bob
I've never made a starter, but I think I will buy a small carboy or beaker and start one for this one.

Well this is now fermenting. And my God am I glad...this was probably the mot problematic brew I've ever made.
-When mashing I missed my gravity by about .010 (had to top off with a pound of DME).
-My yeast starter wasn't ready in time (Had to store the mashed wort and wait a day).
-My propane tank almost ran out of propane with about 10 minutes to go in the boil (managed to sputter enough heat to keep it hot).
-And I forgot to add the sugar to the boil. (ended up adding it to the primary immediately after).
-Yeast starter still wasn't ready after boiling. (Built a ghetto stir plate, sealed the carboy up nice and tight and waited 24 hours)

But it all seems to have been worth it. I have blow out tube from the fermenter to a pot of water and after 8 hours this thing is bubbling away like crazy, and is filled with trub already.

So in conclusion...this beer will be renamed "Wow this was a pain in the ass to make Tripel".:mug:

I just did a hydrometer reading on this stuff. It's down to 1.005 after 8 days. Seems about right as I missed my OG by a good amount. It definately tastes like a tripel, although a little hoppier ( not that thats a bad thing).

I'm curious, would it be better to leave it in the primary for longer that 10 days? or should I just go ahead to secondary.

Seems like a lot of hops..

Generally any Belgian Dark Strong, Tripel or Dubbel that I do is around 20-22 IBUs

I'm curious, would it be better to leave it in the primary for longer that 10 days? or should I just go ahead to secondary.

I personally leave an big beer like that in the primary for a month.. and don't usually go to the secondary.

If you are going to use the secondary I usually go 3-1-3.

So in answer to your question, I'd leave it in the primary for another 10 days or so. Keep it in the secondary for a week, just to clear everything, then bottle.

I finally got this kegged, and after 2 days of carbing I couldn't resist taking a sample. This stuff is awesome. I was worried about it being to hoppy, but it came out well. THis may be the first recipe I'll make more than once.

Latest posts

Back