Going to grow hops for the first time this year SW OH!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
I am going to built a box from 2x6 and a trellis here soon to make my small hop garden. I live is SW OH just north of Cincy so I figured I would play it safe and only grow Cascades, and maybe centennial. How high realistically do I need to build my trellis? I am an assistant greens keeper at a golf course so I know pretty much about horticulture and such, but grass and hops are very different so I need a little help here.

Next question... When is the best time to plant? We normally aren't clear of frost until late April, but I can cover up to keep the frost off of them much like I do my rose bushes. How about mid march and cover them from frost when needed. Could I start rhizomes indoors in potting soil until I get some shoots and then move them outside?

you can plant them as soon as the ground thaws, the rhizome sprouts as soon as the soil warms to a certain temp so dont worry about killing it.Hops are a really durable plant.

Thanks guys for the info... I wish I could get my hands on some crowns or rhizomes now. Looks like late march to mid April... I wish I could get an early start.

Thanks guys for the info... I wish I could get my hands on some crowns or rhizomes now. Looks like late march to mid April... I wish I could get an early start.

I believe great lakes hops is shipping now; and they sell crowns instead of rhizomes; get in touch with them.

https://www.facebook.com/GreatLakesHops

Good luck to you sir! I'm doing a hop garden this year as well, looking forward to it!

Back