Sanke keg... tried to tap it, beer exploded onto wife and child....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickme23

Reaction score
So I filled a sanke keg with a delicious english mild a few weeks ago with some priming sugar to get it carbed up to about 2 volumes. Now I went to put the coupler on and I asked my dad who has dealt with these kegs lots of times and he said no problems, just push it down and turn. So I pushed it down, C02 came out for a split second, then beer exploded onto me, the piano, the wall, ceiling, couch, floor, recliner, wife, and our 5 day old son who was nursing at the time... My wife looked at me with shock and I said "I'm Sorry!!!" then she cracked up laughing, I cracked up laughing, 5 seconds later beer is dripping down the wall, she said the beer tasted pretty good cause I sploded some of it into her mouth, then the baby spit up all over her... :drunk:

10 minutes later... everything is cleaned up, and i'm staring at a formidable 15 gallons of beer waiting to pour into my glass... Now what? How do I get the Sanke coupler hooked up without loosing gallons of beer to the atmosphere? :confused:

I think you need to turn it into place and then push down the lever, lol. I assume you have everything hooked up to tubing and everything as well?

put the tap on, twist hard to the right to lock it in place, THEN pull the handle out and push down lol

every college student (including myself years ago) has done what you did.. never push down first.

Get your father to come over and connect it up for you... :D

Back from the last time I connected up a Sanke to a tap (talking in the mid to late 80's here) it wasn't difficult to do.

the coupler is sitting... oh gosh... i guess I win dumba$$ of the week... I had the handle locked into the open position... problem fixed... at least we both got our abs worked out from laughing so hard :)

good thing you have an even tempered wife, mine would not have been smiling...:)

Back