Beer Carbonation in bottles not happening too well

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So my second batch taht I just bottle of german hefeweizen did not come out so perfect the carbonation did horrible. There are some bubbles but not alot. My first bottle I tried did very well but 1 out of 3 was carbonated the rest with no head retention or little bubbles. I use muntons carb tablets I put 5 in each 12oz bottle just like it says in the instructions. I do 2 gallon batches all the time. Does anyone have any other advice and ways to do this?

How long ago did you prime? What temperature did you condition the bottles?

Keep the bottles at room temperature for a few more weeks. You can't rush these things.

I always used dried malt extract dissolved in water. It's much more consistent and far cheaper. Corn sugar is cheaper yet and still as consistent. I don't remember the exact ratio I used, but I think 3/4 cup of corn sugar dissolved in a pint of water (which you then heat to boiling and pour into the bottling bucket before racking the beer) per 5 gallon batch, or 1.25 c of DME dissolved the same way.

How long ago did you prime? What temperature did you condition the bottles?

Keep the bottles at room temperature for a few more weeks. You can't rush these things.

+1 to what BoR posted, and in addition I might give them a turn upside down and a slight swirl. It may help wake the yeasties.

Using carb tabs rules out a problem with the amount of priming sugar or with the priming solution not being properly mixed. If the bottles have spent 3+ weeks at room temp and aren't carbed, then maybe our bottle caps are the issue.

I had two batches of uncarbed beer. Couldn't figure out what the issue was. Bought a new bag of bottle caps and bam, problem solved. Not sure what the problem was but the caps just werent sealing properly...

Back